Request - Newt x Reader

This was requested by @livsesa , I hope you enjoy it!! ~Runner_A2

Ever since you came up to the Glade 3 weeks ago, you've been nearly invisible to most of the boys. You are introverted and keep yourself to yourself. They don't deliberately ignore you, but you are quiet and often go unnoticed on occasions. You also quickly discovered that you got very bored and gloomy easily, so when you heard Winston talking about how he vaguely remembers something called books, you left a note in the Box asking for one. Books became your new best friend.

However, you aren't completely unsociable. You still do your job and hang out with the others every so often but sometimes you just enjoy some time to yourself. One day, as you were getting ready to run the Maze with Minho, you saw Newt out of the corner of your eye. He seemed distracted and was watching the runners, including you, gear up for your run. You had always had a soft spot for Newt ever since you first came up, but you thought you wouldn't have a chance with him. He was almost the complete opposite to you; strong, brave, confident. However, you never had the slightest idea that Newt often had the exact same thoughts about you.

You started talking to Minho and since you were both uncontrollably sarcastic, you got on really well. You also had that sort of friendship where you often joked around a lot and fake flirted in a way. You don't like Minho and you know he doesn't like you either but that's just how you two worked. So as you tied your hair into a ponytail and talked to Minho in your usual manor, you had no idea that Newt was carefully watching your interaction and slowly growing more and more jealous.

"I beat you yesterday Minho, what makes you think I can't do it again, slacker?" you grinned as you playfully glared at Minho.

"Oh nothing, just the fact that I'm way more awesome than you in every way! And who you calling a slacker, shuckface?" he smirked back as he nudged your shoulder.

As your competitive talk continued, you didn't realise that your crush had started to make his way over after watching your conversation from afar. Newt was normally the kind to keep his cool, so when he stalked up to you both and barged Minho aside, you were shocked.

They started to have a whisper-argument a few metres away from you as if you weren't there. You caught the odd word or two but couldn't make much from it.

"What are you doing.......I wasn't.........Don't care, you know how I............shuck you............supposed to be my friend!..."

You didn't know what was going on and the conflict was slowly growing louder. You decided it was time to step in. You walked up to the two boys and stammered next to them "guys stop" but they didn't hear. You knew now was the time to stop being so quiet. You took a step closer and said much louder "STOP IT BOTH OF YOU" over their shouts. They both froze and looked at you like two dears caught in headlights. You blushed a little at the sudden attention but continued while your confidence was still high.

"Look I don't know what your arguing about but it's clearly about me so instead of pretending I'm not here why don't you just let me help?!"

Neither of them said anything. They both stared to their shoes, suddenly finding them extremely fascinating. You didn't drop your guard either. You crossed your arms across your chest and glared at them both in turn, waiting for an answer. When one didn't come, you opened your to continue when Minho said "this Maze isn't gonna run itself, let's go Liz." He grabbed your arm and pulled you towards the opening. But before you both left he turned towards Newt and uttered a simple sentence: "Don't accuse me of doing something I would never do to my friend."

You both ran in silence the whole time and the hard glare never left Minho's face.

~~~~~time skip to later in the evening~~~~~

You glanced at Minho over the bonfire. As you stood up to go and talk to him about what had happened earlier, someone quietly called your name behind you. "Psst, Liz!" You turned and saw Newt behind a tree in the Deadheads. As you slowly made your way over to him, butterflies erupted in your stomach as he lent against a tree, frowning that famous frown at the grass below him.

"Look, Liz, I've got some explaining to do. I'm really sorry about what happened this morning. The truth is, I was jealous of Minho. I know he's my best friend and yours too but the way you two were acting made me really jealous. Because....I'm in love with you Liz. Ever since you first came up in that Box 3 weeks ago and tried to punch Gally, I knew I loved you. I hope you'll forgive me, and I hope Min does too, he's done nothing wrong. I'm sorry Liz".

You just stood there on shock, blushing furiously as you used your hair as a curtain to cover your face. You looked up at him through your eyelashes and saw him watching you carefully and giving you a sincere smile. You couldn't help yourself. You wrapped your arms around his neck and gave him a hug while whispering, "I love you too Newt". When he gave you a tender kiss on the cheek, you knew things were resolved and your heart fluttered with love.

Hey guys, omg I am SOOOOO sorry that I haven't updated in AGES! Ngl I kind of forgot I was even supposed to be writing stuff so I apologise greatly! Also @livsesa I'm so sorry this was so late, I promised you this all the way back in October! I hope you like it though. But yeah I promise I will try to update more often. Sorry again! Xxx