7.

=>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Peter, what the fuck is this!" My eyes had expanded to nearly twice their normal size as I thrust my glowing screen indignantly in front of his face.

He gave me that little smile, the one where the corners of his mouth curved ever so slightly upwards, as if he had known all along that I would react like this. That little smile was slowly but surely driving me insane.

"Listen, I've got an idea." Peter's eyes searched my face excitedly and he waited for me to retract my arm and phone. 

I huffed and slumped back in my seat, knowing that any idea coming from this guy sat in front of me was going to be a load of -

"Now, please just hear me out on this Hughes." He ventured tentatively, as if he could tell that I was going to blow at any moment.

"I'm all ears Kavinsky." I said in a surly tone, turning my phone off so I no longer had to see the picture he had posted of me on his Instagram.

"Ok. Two things." He placed his hands on the tabletop, "Number one. Gen got all worked up the other day when she saw me commenting on your posts."

"Yeah, I thought we'd already established that Kavinsky." I interrupted, pursing my lips sceptically. 

"Just checking we're on the same page. Now," He slammed his hands briskly on the table, signalling he had reached the main crux of his plan, "we know she's probably seen that I asked you to check your dms, right?" 

I was guessing the question was supposed to be rhetorical and I folded my arms over my chest, fixing Peter with a doubtful glare as he resumed talking.

"As you so helpfully informed me," He winked playfully, "from her point of view that looks pretty suspicious."

"I'm not sure if I'm liking where this is going." I said slowly.

"Jamie, please, like I said hear me out." He urged, running a hand through his hair in mild frustration.

I sighed deeply, allowing him to continue.

"Number two. We also know Gen hates you."

My eyebrows shot up, 

"Understatement of the year."

"Exactly," Peter stated matter-of-factly, "so what could be worse for her than seeing you and me get... a bit closer than friends."

He acted as if he'd just revealed Christmas had come early. 

I didn't say anything for a while. I was trying to determine whether this was just his crappy sense of humor or a fucking awful plan.

"You have to be joking right?" I asked him after a minute or so.

"I am 100% deadly serious." Peter looked me in the eyes and this time I really did push back my chair to get up and leave.

"Oh come on Hughes, I'm not that bad!" He sprang out of his chair to stop me from leaving, attracting the attention of some of the other customers in the cafe. 

"Ok," I hissed, lowering my voice to prevent anyone else from overhearing the conversation, "maybe you're not that bad Kavinsky, but the last thing I want right now is for people to be thinking that I'm at all inclined to you in that kind of way." 

I managed to get past him and thundered out into the street, Peter of course right at my heels.

"So, you think I'm not that bad?" Kavinsky asked non-chalently as he sauntered out of the cafe, the door swinging shut behind him and that aggravatingly perfect smile plastered over his face again.