14.

=>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The next day was, you guessed it... A SATURDAY. 

I had the house to myself which was basically my excuse to wear fluffy socks and sweatpants and do nothing but binge-watch Brooklyn 99 on the couch all day.

My day was shaping up nicely. Orange the cat, who was at this point most definitely pregnant (I should be a vet when I'm older, I know), lounged on the blanket covering my legs as I located Netflix on the tv's home screen.

The doorbell rang and a tap on the glass of the door followed. My eyes fluttered shut in annoyance and I groaned.

Sighing, I delicately shifted Orange off my legs and grumbled my way to the hallway. How dare anyone call at the house at the positively early hour of 1pm?

I flung open the door with an appeasing smile on my face, expecting to find one of our elderly neighbours asking after some milk or sugar for their homemade apple crumble that seemed to be made too often to be healthy.

My smile vanished and was replaced by a look of scepticism as I saw who was actually asking to be let in. 

Peter Kavinsky stood on my doorstep with a cheesy grin, brandishing a paper bag of fast food in his hand.

"You look pleased to see me Hughes." He laughed and I self-consciously softened my harsh expression.

"What a..." I searched for the right words, "nice surprise." I pursed my lips, unsure whether the feeling in my stomach was excitement or dread.

"Home alone?" He poked his head around the door, peering down the empty hallway.

I thought for a moment then asked suspiciously,

"Woah woah Kavinsky, how did you know I was even at home today?"

"Snapmaps, duh." He winked.

"Oh and a stalker too? This could not get any better." I complained to myself.

"You're the one with your location turned on." He said defensively.

"How do you know I'm not about to leave?" I crossed my arms, thinking I'd outsmarted him. He took a quick look down at what I was wearing, (fluffy socks and sweatpants as a reminder), and a lopsided grin appeared on his face.

"Let's just say it was a gut instinct." 

I held the door unwillingly open for him, knowing there was no point in refusing him entry, he probably would climb his way over the garden fence if I didn't let him in through the front.

"Orange!" Peter yelled enthusiastically as he headed into the living room. The ginger cat darted over and rubbed up against his legs and Peter bent down to stroke her ears, resulting in extremely loud purrs of approval.

"Aren't you beautiful," He murmured to Orange, "yes you are-"

Peter's head craned back over his shoulder as he heard me snort with laughter. I got myself under control and quipped,

"I didn't realise you were a cat person Kavinsky."

"Hey, there's a lot you don't know about me." He straightened up and stepped closer, "Maybe if you weren't so goddamn stubborn you'd find there's more to me than just my incredible lacrosse skills." His eyes darted down to my lips for the briefest of moments. I blinked stupidly in confusion.

The expectant silence that followed was finally broken by a loud meow from Orange who butted Peter's leg with such ferocity he stumbled slightly.

"See J, even your cat likes me." He said smugly.