20.

=>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I felt my body go rigid as the sickening familiarity of the thumping base, thuggish shouting and flirtatious screaming washed over me.

"You good?" Peter murmured in a low, reassuring tone, pressing his hand into the small of my back.

"Yeah." I swallowed uncomfortably. 

"If you want to go out for some air at any point just let me know." Peter said in what was almost a whisper to make sure no one else would hear.

"Thanks." I said gratefully, slowly adjusting to the party's atmosphere.

"Ayy it's my man Peter!!! And Jamie freakin' Hughes everybody!!!" Gabe swooped on us from behind, balancing three solo-cups of what was most likely vodka in his hands.

"Yeah man, we made it." Peter clapped Gabe on the shoulder, the mysterious liquid sloshing out from the cups onto the floor.

"Drinks are over there." Gabe gestured with a nod of his head, "I'll catch you two lovebirds later." He winked and navigated his way through the groups of people out into the garden.

Peter held out his hand expectantly, I took it and he interlaced his fingers with mine.

"Ok then. I'll lead the way."

We drifted around the room, chatting to people who either Peter or I knew. The majority of them wanted to know about our relationship which made for some expert lying from the two of us, our 'love story' becoming invariably more detailed and descriptive as the night went on. Peter had ludicrously told someone that his family would be adopting one of Orange's kittens and I had informed a guy from my sociology class that I had agreed to tutor Peter in French.

At around 10ish I pulled Peter over to a nearby wall so we could talk alone.

"I think we might need to make a note of all these stories we keep making up." I laughed and tucked some annoying pieces of hair behind my ears.

"You look cute when you do that." Peter said with a small smile, one hand rested on the wall behind him so he was effortlessly leant back on it. 

"Do what?" I asked, hoping I didn't look too pleased about his comment.

"Tuck your hair back like that." 

"Oh. Umm, thanks I guess." I said, looking round to see who Peter had wanted our conversation to be overheard by.

"I was saying it for you dumbass." He laughed, lightly shaking his head in disbelief. "Not for anyone else."

"If you say so Kavinsky." I tried to look at him cynically but nothing could stop the grin from appearing on my face.

"But you're right. I don't want to lose track of how we met or our first date or anything like that, otherwise our plan is foiled." Peter agreed with my suggestion from earlier.

"Let's just say that for now, we stop adding anything new and then when I get home I'll sort something out. A list or timeline or something." I said resourcefully.

"Better hide that one from Sam." Peter reminded me. "But enough with the logistics." He grinned and stopped leaning against the wall to slip his arms around my waist. 

I looked at his arms circled around me in mock surprise,

"And what do you think you're doing?"

He smirked,

"I mean if you want me to be technical about it we should be making out." He held up a finger to silence me before I started to protest, "But since you're not down for that, I'm just cementing our relationship for our audience." He arched an eyebrow playfully.