𝟶𝟷: 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚠𝚘𝚗'𝚝 𝚐𝚎𝚝 𝚏𝚊𝚛

𝙹𝙰𝙷𝚂𝙴𝙷

"They'll never take you serious, Jahseh."

"You're too young to understand the complexed values in life."

"Give it up. You won't get far."

"Don't come running back when you find out that lifestyle isn't for you."

These are phrases I've heard throughout my entire 22 years of living. Words that have stuck with me throughout those years, never once leaving my mind and never once failing to prevent me from applying myself. Throughout my whole life I've always been labelled as a mistake, and a ticking time bomb just waiting to be set off due to my past violent demeanors. But guess what?

I never once gave a fuck.

I turned the music all the way up in my car relaxing in my seat as the tunes erupted through the speakers loudly. I was currently on my way to pick up Gazzy from his house for his first day as my intern and my first day as an official detective. I would be lying if I said I didn't work my ass off to get where I am now. It was practically impossible, people told me, and I almost let myself lose sight of how capable I am of doing anything if I just put my mind to it. Nothing was going to stop be from proving these fuckers wrong. Nothing.

I pulled up onto the curb of the García house and quickly unbuckled my seatbelt jumping from the vehicle not even bothering to shut my door. I ran up the steps banging my fist against the door hoping Gazzy remembered to set an alarm instead of pushing 6:30 on the microwave. A few moments later I was greeted by the adorable face of Gazzy García, my longtime best friend and business partner. Just as I was stepping in to embrace him, his mother cut in between us pushing him to once side and embraced me instead.

"Jahseh, mi amor!" She screamed as she lovingly wrapped her arms around my tense body congratulating me on all the things I've managed to accomplish. She completely disregarded Gazzy knowing that it was his time to shine too, but didn't believe he'd last long in a field such as this. I looked up and met the face of Gazzy who awkwardly shifting his body from one side to the other while a hurt expression could visibly be seen but he tried his hardest to mask it with a forced smile. I managed to mutter a quick hello to his mother and separated myself from her hastily hurrying over to Gazzy where I engulfed him into a big hug. My mood was instantly improving and I almost forgot about the petty ass argument I got into with my mom this morning and it almost made me forget that we were both about to be late too.

I reluctantly moved back from our brief embrace scanning my eyes around for Gazzy's things until I finally spotted them in the far corner beside the door hastily walking over to pick them up and place them into the car. I threw them into the backseat since we wouldn't have time to drop them at my house today since I haven't even gotten the keys yet and obviously, we're about to be late. I hopped back into the driver's seat starting the car up once again until I noticed Gazzy wasn't following me. I looked through the window to see that his mother was still arguing with him about leaving and since she always had some control over Gazzy, he'd eventually end up changing his mind.

I honked the car horn loudly and screamed at the top of my lungs hoping they would hear me over their loud bickering. "Get in loser, we're going to work."

Gazzy immediately turned to face me and ran up to the car opening the passengers side door seating himself into the seat next to me wiggling in his seat, pink dreads flying everywhere. I laughed loudly and waved off his mother as she called out to me once again to say goodbye but I sped off since I didn't hear her farewell to Gazzy.