𝟶𝟻: 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚌𝚊𝚜𝚎

𝙹𝙰𝙷𝚂𝙴𝙷

Everything that happened last night was a blur. I'm not even sure any of it ever took place to begin with, but everyone else made it seem like it did. My memory was clouded, and fucked. The last thing I could recall was the club, and the moments before.

One, Gazzy practically forced me to go.
Two, Omar accompanied us for safety.
Three, we separated.
Four, I was at the bar, alone.
Five.. him.

Then everything went blank.

"Where the fuck were you last night?"

It was the first thing I was greeted with after I walked through the space that was unfamiliar to me. A place that I had to now call home. Gazzy was already home the night prior and had to come in without me since I was apparently missing in action.

"What do you mean?"

"Omar and I went back to look for you after a fight broke out. You were gone. I've been calling you all fucking night, Jahseh you can't just—"

The more he explained it the more it didn't make sense. Me, of all people wouldn't even have left Gazzy without supervision, despite Omar being there. I didn't know him all that well to trust him enough with my best friend's life.

"You know what, forget it," Gazzy threw his hands up in defeat and walked away from me. He returned moments later with a shirt and my toothbrush, both of which he threw in my direction that I failed to catch.

"Clean yourself up, you smell like alcohol. It's sickening."

Again, something strange. I don't willingly drink. I never do. Even with the circumstances last night I wouldn't have drunken myself into an oblivion knowing that it wasn't my purpose for being there.  I lifted my hand to my mouth and exhaled against my palm, inhaling the aura through my nose. The heavy scent of liquor still lingering on my breath made me sick to my stomach.

By the time I had forced myself to get ready within minutes, I could feel a migraine slowly developing. Gazzy had been in no mood to hear me out and I wasn't in the right headspace to even begin to speak, let alone complain. We were due to turn up at work this morning, he briefed me on it being something about a new case that formed last night. Although we were demoted to interns and weren't supposed to partake in any cases that came about, there was something different about this one that Omar said he needed us for. Somehow, we were involved.

The car ride to work was silent. Usually I wouldn't allow Gazzy to drive but given the current circumstances, I was in no place to drive either. It did give me time to make a timeline in my head about all the events that led up to this moment. As my thoughts drifted, I started to wonder who the person was that dropped me off this morning. Was he the man from last night and the man from this morning? Were they the same person? How the fuck did I even end up with the man this morning?

"Are you coming out or what?" Gazzy's voice interrupted my thoughts. The passenger door of the car was already opened and in between stood an annoyed Gazzy. The mere thought of something even happening to him during the time of my unknown absence was disturbing to my core. I had to get to the bottom of what happened last night.

I gave Gazzy a tight lipped smile as I exited the car turning to slam the door shut behind me. I made sure to do a quick examination of the vehicle and it looked as if we arrived in one piece. Gazzy was often more focused when he was upset, and by the looks of it he was still livid about the situation I was still unaware of.