epilogue | viva las vegas

'' you gotta be smart and I'm a little smarty

papi is a gangsta, I'm his little dolly ''

***

The sun was shining high above the highway and heath was radiating off the scorching asphalt. The gas station in the outskirts of Chuncheon was empty, if you didn't count the lone tow truck that was dragging a shiny black Maserati Cabriolet. The expensive car painfully contrasted with the vast nature that was all around it, chirping birds and the distant sound of a river. It was a peaceful day in the countryside and it almost got disrupted by me, when I woke up in the Maserati and prepared to step outside, only to fall right of the back of the tow truck.

I ended up changing my mind and instead of going inside the gas station and yell at the driver, I stopped at a payphone and dialled a number that I knew all too well.

'' Missed me? '' I was leaning against the wall by the payphone, twirling the cord around my fingers and squinting my eyes at the strong sun. '' Is the weather this terribly hot in Incheon too? ''

There was a long silence on the other side of the line before I heard him murmur: '' Mijin. Is this really you? ''

'' Does my voice sound weird? Baekhyun and I went to a karoke party last night and we might have gone a little too crazy when they played any of IU's songs, '' I replied and jokingly laughed before gazing towards the inside of the gas station. Baekhyun was going to go argue with the tow truck driver that dragged us away in the middle of the night, but he ended up changing his mind. Now the two of them were standing in front of a long shelf, eating their breakfast together and having a deep conversation about something. The driver was slurping his cup ramen and seriously nodding at Baekhyun, who was waving around the air with his cheap and clearly very old taiyaki.

I stopped listening to the voice on the other side of the phone to frown and stare at him in disbelief. He took a bite of the fish shaped pastry and started waving it through the air again. His lips stretched in to a childish smile and the tow truck driver began to mimic the motion that someone would do when using a fishing rod.

Are they seriously having a conversation about fishing?

I turned my gaze and my eyes followed the two cars that pulled over near our Maserati. My gaze slightly narrowed with suspicion, then the voice on the phone, made me snap out of my thoughts. '' You wait four months to call me and now you even dare to ignore me? ''

'' Sorry, Jimin, we got a little sidetracked, '' I answered and grinned.

I could almost see him, frowning in annoyance and clenching his phone in his hand. '' By what? ''