Chapter Twenty-Five: Fight Club (Edited)

“Hey Ava.” Maddi greets me as I place my lunch tray on the table before taking a seat on the bench.

“Hey guys.” I reply softly picking up the fork and trying out some mac’n’cheese.

“What’s the go with your dad hon?” Violet asks her face etched with concern.

“Doctors say nothing’s changed.”  I frown trying to get used to the taste of the food residing in my mouth.

“I’m sure everything will be fine, hopefully he’ll be awake soon.” Maddi comments, reaching across the table and squeezing my hand.

Though it was meant to be comforting I couldn’t help but feel sad, the O’Connell’s home made me feel like I had a family, something that had been missing in my life. Was I really ready to give that up as soon as my dad got better?

Sighing, I stir through the mac not really wanting to eat it as it tasted like spoilt milk mixed with rotten egg. Gagging slightly at the thought I drop the fork to the tray, deciding to eat the ripe looking apple instead.

“So…what’s the deal with you and Gabriel?” Violet asks wiggling her eyebrows, snorting I shake my head before answering.

“I don’t know what you mean.” Shrugging I take another bite of the apple as Maddi comments.

“What do you mean 'I don’t know what you mean' are you hooking up, friends with benefits, boyfriend and girlfriend, fuck buddies…” She trails off looking at me with a smirk as I try not to choke on the apple piece in my mouth.

“Oh my God what the hell, why would you guys think that?” I ask in disbelief.

“The dude’s been very touchy feely around you recently.” Violet replies making kissy faces.

“If you wanna talk about guys, what’s the deal with you and Harley?” I shoot back wiggling my eyebrows like she had done.

Scowling in my direction, she folds her arms across her chest looking around the grounds before looking back at Maddi and I. Leaning in, she motions for the both of us to do the same.

“I didn’t know how to tell you guys, I swear to God I was actually going to tell you guys but shit happened with your dad Ava and I didn’t want you to have to focus on my problems but at the beginning of the year I applied for a scholarship to this boarding school where it’s like a guaranteed acceptance into any job you want and a couple of weeks ago I got a letter saying that I've been accepted.”  She rushes out looking flustered and scared.

“Violet that’s so good!” Maddi gushes as we gave her an awkward group hug.

“Yeah I know.” She replies giving us a sad smile.

“There’s a but isn’t there?” I question, already knowing the answer.

“The boarding schools in England and I’m leaving next Monday.” She trails off as Maddi and I look at her shocked.

“Next Monday?” Maddi asks still in shock, nodding Violet sighs looking between the two of us.

“That’s uhm….” Leaning back I don’t finish the sentence not sure how to react.

“We’ve been friends for how long Violet, I can’t believe you wouldn’t tell me this as soon as you got the letter!” Maddi exclaims standing up as tears start to pour out of her eyes.

“Maddi I didn’t know how you would react.” Violet tries to finish but Maddi only shakes her head before running back into the cafeteria.

Violet quickly stands to follow but I step in front of her shaking my head, knowing that Maddi has to come to terms with the change before Violet should see her. Sighing in defeat she sits down next to me leaning her head on my shoulder.