Chapter 3

✶✶✶

S I M O N 

It's my first official day back at Watford and in true Simon Snow fashion, I get up early because I can almost taste the scones in the dining hall. I put on a pair of light jeans and the white button down and I loosely tie the tie around my neck. That will probably be coming off through the middle of the day.

The dining hall isn't that crowded yet, but I see Penny immediately on the same table as last night, but the teachers look more relaxed at this moment. Probably because they haven't faced the wrath of the students yet.

"Simon! How are you feeling?" She hurls a plate already full to the brim with food and smiles knowingly at me.

"Oh you know, same old, same old, except for the fact that you failed to mention Baz was here!" I exclaim.

"Well, it didn't seem all that important," She hides behind a cup of tea, peering at me.

"Penny!"

"Okay yeah maybe you two didn't leave on the best of terms, but it didn't seem all that significant to mention him. Plus it would only damper your mood."

"Yes, but I would have liked to know that he was staying right in front of me! Damn, it's like nothing had changed."

"Oh come on. He doesn't even talk all that much anymore. I swear I haven't seen him smile once since he's been teaching."

"I don't care for that. I care about being prepared to see him in the Catacombs in the middle of the night!"

"Why were you in the Catacombs?" She raises an eyebrow.

"I was looking around. Seeing if everything was the same. Nostalgia you know," I shrug.

"Why would the Catacombs be nostalgic?!"

"They are what proved to everyone that I wasn't crazy and Baz was actually... you know..." I make two fanges with my pointer and middle finger and put them in front of my mouth.

"Very mature, Simon. Very mature," Penny laughs.

"So, whose classroom am I going to go to first."

"Well, since the classes that are the most to do with your skills are Magic Words, Spells, and General Knowledge, those are the ones you are going to spend the most time in. Lucky for you, I teach Magic Words and Quarantine teaches General Knowledge so you will be fine," She grins at me.

"Wait since when do we have a General Knowledge class? And who teaches Spells then?"

"Well, mum thought, judging by the events that occurred, that we should have General Knowledge just for questions and things that aren't very well taught in all the other classes."

"Oh so like how to cook and stuff?" I asked, very much confused about this new installment.

"Well yeah. None magic-related stuff. And since you have spent the last five years in the 'real world'," She air quotes, "You might have some useful things to say."

"Oh, well I guess that may be the easiest since I can't fuck up too much without a wand."

"Yeah."

A few moments of silence pass by in which Penny talks to a women sitting in front of her, Quarantine, and I enjoy the bliss that is Watford meals.

"Wait, whose class am I going to first?" I ask as the teachers start to get up and the students start to densely pack the hall.

"Umm well... Spells is first apparent," She says falling in line with my steps.