001. prologue

trigger warnings: abuse, alcoholism

ELEANOR carefully stepped out of her room. The house was unusually quiet, which was a good sign. She prayed that her father wasn't home, she was silently hoping he was passed out at a friends house for the morning, like he usually was after a night shift.

She walked down the hallway and into the living room to be greeted with her dad snoring, out cold in his lounger. He was still in his police uniform, his nametag reading Officer Bowers. He had a half-drunken bottle clutched in his clammy hands. Beside him, an open pack of cigarettes and a lighter tossed on the side table, along with a couple of cigarettes stubbed out in the ashtray.

Eleanor bit her tongue nervously, hard enough to draw blood. She didn't want to wake her father in this state, she knew how he got after drinking like this, especially after work.

She carefully walked into the kitchen, opening the fridge, silently. She pulled out a carton of orange juice, setting it on the counter before closing the fridge door with a small thud.

She spun around to see her father standing in the doorway. His shaky hands dropping the glass bottle of liquor in his hand. The alcohol in the bottle spilt all over the stained tile floor as the glass shards flew across the room.

"Eleanor" The man slurred, stepping forwards towards his daughter. Eleanor's eyes darted to the mans large figure in the doorway. "What did I tell you to do yesterday?" He demanded, the drink on his breath.

Eleanor thinks back to the day before, her dad calling out "Fuck!" at the sight of an empty fridge. 

She looked back to her orange juice, avoiding any eye contact. "You told me to restock the beer in the fridge" She replied, consciously avoiding any contact with him.

He nodded. "And?" He asked, angrily staring down at her.

Eleanor shrugged. "I'm sorry, I didn't restock the beer" She muttered under her breath.

His eyes narrowed into slits. "Do it, now" He hissed at his daughter.

Eleanor shook her head slowly. "Dad, I'm already running late, I need to get ready for school" She pleaded. "You're drunk, please go lay down-"

"Now!" His voice got louder each time he spoke.

"Dad, please-" She was cut off by his left hand colliding with her cheek, and the ring on his finger slicing her cheek. Fresh blood trickled out of her wound.

Eleanor raised her hand up to her cheek and held the cut. A tear slipped out of her eye as she stood frozen. "What the fuck!" She exclaimed angrily.

"Watch your language!" He scolded as footsteps descended from down the hall.

Henry saw his father, his fists clenched and smelt the liquor on the floor. 

"Dad?" He asked, looking towards his father. Oscar stayed put, glaring at his daughter. Henry's eyes darted to Eleanor, her eyes brimmed with tears and hand cupping her cheek. Henry walked over to his little sister and pushed her by her shoulders. "Cut her a break" He said as he lightly lugged her out of the room and into the hall.

Eleanor slid down the wall and curled her knees up to her face as her dad disappeared out of the house. "What happened, El?" Henry asked her softly. Eleanor looked as she had nothing to say.

"H-he told me to restock the beer in the fridge. I needed to go get ready for school. And he hit me. He hit me Henry" She said hoarsely. Henry nodded and pulled her into a hug.

"I'm sorry that he's like this" Henry whispered stroking her hair. Eleanor sobbed into his shirt, leaving marks on the shirt. "He's been like this for the past few years, there's no changing him now, El. It's just something that we have to live with for now" He spoke softly. Henry clutched onto his little sister, assuring her that she was safe and away from the monster that is Oscar Bowers.