018. chapter seventeen

trigger warning: abuse

THE clock struck 2:42 am

Eleanor wrote the last sentence of her new poem in her notebook, one her mom had bought her before she ran out on them. She sighed a bit. This wasn't as fulfilling as she thought.

She wished someone was beside her. She wished Richie was sitting beside her, making stupid jokes and laughing with her. Eleanor groaned in anger and threw her book across the room. The book fell to the ground with a clatter.

She quickly buried her head in her hands, taking in the scent of sweat and smoke. Eleanor was broken from this trance when there was a knock at her window.

She slowly removed her hands from her face, praying to god it wasn't the clown again. She stood up, walking over to the window and sliding it open.

And there was a familiar face perched on a branch outside her window. Stanley Uris.

"Stan? Is that you? What the fuck?" She exclaimed.

"No. It's Eddie. What do you think?" He said, sarcasm dripping from his tone. Eleanor laughed.

"Your tone seems very pointed right now" She stated.

Stan rolled his eyes playfully. "Okay, can you help me in now?" Stan spoke.

"Oh yeah" Eleanor mumbled, grabbing his wrists and helping him in her tiny room. Stan glanced around her room as she sat back on the bed.

"Nice room" he said, basically out of breath.

"Thanks" she said, smiling.

Stan sat bedside her. "So. Why're you here?" She asked curiously.

"Wow, what a welcome" he mumbled. Eleanor nudged him lightly.

"But seriously, why're you here?"

Stan sighed. "Life without the Losers sucks. It's so bland and boring. I feel so lonely, you know?" He explained, Eleanor nodding in response. "I basically had a breakdown and thought who would be the best to be around now? Then headed over here" he explained.

Eleanor hummed in response. "Thought you woulda gone to Bill's"

"I'm kinda pissed at Bill. Life without them sucks but we can both agree Bill wanted us to do some pretty crazy things and Richie took it too far" Stan stated.

Eleanor froze at the mention of Richie's name. "Have you.. talked to Richie lately?" Eleanor asked.

Stan nodded. "He came to my bar mitzvah"

"Oh, yeah"

"Why do you wanna know about Richie?" Stan asked with a smirk. Eleanor smiled a bit and shoved Stan

"Shut up, Stan" she hissed.

Stan chuckled. "No. You like Richie and you need to own up to it" Stan teased.

Eleanor gasped. "I do not like him!"

Stan gave Eleanor a knowing face.

"I don't!" She attempted to argue.

"Oh sure you don't! Remember that day at the park when you had your head on his shoulder? Or how he always wraps his arms around you?" Stan suggested.

Eleanor scoffed. "Wow. Let's talk about you and Bill. Obvious tension man" she started.

"Woah, woah, woah, I'm not gay!" Stan said.

"Oh really?" She exclaimed.

Stans mouth gaped open. "Let's talk about how you're undyingly in love with Richard Tozier and you won't do anything about it!"

"Let's talk about how much time you and Bill spend together!" Then the two went silent.

Eleanor started hysterically laughing and so did Stan. Eleanor collapsed onto Stan as the duo sat there laughing.

Then there was a click. "Eleanor!" A slurred voice screamed. "Henry!"

The two stopped laughing. "Who's that?" Stan asked.

"My dad. Uh, Stan you need to hide" she hurried to her feet.

"Why?" He asked, confused.

"My dad is literally psychotic, Stan just listen to me! Open the closet door and just stay in there!"

"Wh-"

Eleanor cut him off. "Just do it!" And with that Stan's skinny frame slipped into the closet.

"Dad?" Eleanor said opening the door to her room. Her dad lazily walked to her room, tripping over his own feet in a hurry.

"Okay! Eleanor Marie Bowers" He slurred.

"Dad, you're drunk and-"

"Shut up! You're a mouthy bitch, nobody likes you!" He trailed off.

"Wow, thanks for the encouragement dad" Eleanor muttered, rolling her eyes. She knew she shouldn't have said it, she always just seems to egg him on when he's like this. 

Oscar grunted, shoving her hard, into the wall behind her. A dent was left in the drywall of the old and rickety house.

"Now, I work in the morning, so get lost!" Her dad spoke. Eleanor scoffed, slamming the door in his face.

Eleanor flopped on her bed and Stan came out of the closet.

"You and Richie-" 

"What the fuck, Stan? You're still on about that?" She exclaimed, angrily.

"No" Stan spoke softly. "You both are going through the same thing" he said, inching closer to Eleanor. Stan grabbed her arm, examining the bruises up and down her arm.

Eleanor smiled and hugged Stan tight. "Stan, you're my best friend, you know that?"