CHAPTER 7.

I didn't even have to do anything. Finding the book was easy as pie. Except pie tastes better. "Hey, I found this book above my bed in the wall. Is it the right one?" I ask. "How in the world did you find it so easily?" he asks. "Uh, well, I was laying down and happened to see an X mark on the ceiling above my bed and dug it out of the drywall." I explain. "So that's where the big thud came from? I thought it was mice. Of course there are still mice living here. But, don't worry. They don't bite unless you don't share your food." the old man says. "There are mice!" I yell.

He nods. "Yes, it's prison, not an all-star diner." he continues, "but I'm sure you'll get used to it. Don't you have a trial today or somethin'?" he asks. I had completely forgotten about it. "I need to shower, brush my teeth, brush my hair and eat. I have to do all that in under 15 minutes." I say as I get up from my bed.

Every cell had a bathroom, a bed, a toilet, and a tv that only showed 3 channels. Every morning I'd do the same stuff I usually do at home. Except, I'm in jail. But, I've gotten used to being in a place other than home. I have 9 days until I get released. Or if I plead innocent, I'll get out today. At least, I think that's how it works.

"Rocky Diaz, let's go!" yells Officer Choi. "Coming! Sorry for taking so long." I apologize while walking out with Officer Choi. As I walk out, all the other inmates were congratulating me. "You deserve to be free little one. Nobody at the age of 14 belongs in this horrible place." says one. Everyone nods in agreement.

As Officer Choi walks me into the courtroom, I noticed a familiar face, but older. "Grandma?" I asked. The old woman looked up at me and smiled. "Grandma!" I shouted. I ran up to hug her. Officer Choi smiles. I've never seen him smile before. Must be something new.

Officer Choi was a tall, nice built, man with narrow eyes. I assume he's in his 20's. Maybe 22. He's face is just so amazingly built, You'd think he's a model. Especially when he keeps a straight face. It gives me model vibes. "People of the court, today we will be testing if Rocky Diaz is guilty or innocent. Please stay quiet." says Judge Mary. "Mr. Diaz, on the night of April 12, 2018, did you happen to know what was going on?" asks Officer Choi, while giving me a light smile. "No sir, I had just arrived from my friend Ollie's house after spending the night over the weekend." I say. "No further questions, your honor." he says. "Mr. Diaz, did you purposely stab Tim McCawley?" asks Tim's lawyer.

"Yes, but it was in self-defense. He was harassing my sister." I say. "That gives you no right to stab someone. You injured his lung and now he can hardly breathe." he says. "Enough, Mr. Washington." says the judge. "It's not my fault he harassed my sister. He should've thought about this before he did it. If anyone deserves to be in jail, it's him." I say. "But, still. A 13-year-old stabbing a 24-year-old sounds completely terrible. You deserve to be in here. What rights do you have to stab your sister's boyfriend?" he asks.

"Enough Washington." says Judge Mary again. "No! He needs to figure out that what he did was wrong. It's your fault your sister is dead. She starved herself because she couldn't live with the pain that her little brother almost killed her boyfriend." What he says just tears me apart. A knot formed in my stomach. "How can you say that? It's because this place is a horrible place and she starved herself because of the officers and how they treat their prisoners. The only one here who actually treats people the way they're supposed to be treated is Officer Choi. And you weren't there. Tim punched Abigail in the stomach which caused her to starve herself because it hurt to eat." I say.

"You're in here because you killed you sister." Mr. Washington says. "I would never kill my sister! Why would I do that?" I yell. The room went silent. "Because you forced her to starve herself just so you could get out of prison to go to her funeral." Mr. Washington says.

"That's enough! I'm charging you $2,500. This is harassment of a 13-year-old. You now have 2 months in prison." Judge Mary says. "That's not fair. He threatened me." he says. "I never threatened you. But if I did, it would've already been done." I mutter. "I'm sorry?" he asks. "I said, have a nice 2 months in prison." I say.

Officer Peterson holds back his laughter. He turned around to face the jury and smiled. I saw one of the women smile back at Officer Peterson. He winked. I think I actually felt happy for him. "Ok, this court is now over. We'll come back tomorrow afternoon at 3." says Judge Mary.

Officer Peterson gets up and takes me back to my cell. "So, who's the lucky lady?" I ask, looking up at Officer Peterson. "She was just a stranger." he says. He seemed nervous. "Are you sure about that?" I ask. I just wanted to keep asking to get him to "spill the tea". If you don't know what that means, it means to tell a secret.

"Just tell me that she's your girlfriend." I say, finally giving up. "That's my sister. I don't know why she's here though. She never visits home." Peterson says. "Oh, sorry for asking so much." I say. I felt guilty. I didn't know his sister never came to see him.

If Abigail and I lived separately and she never came to see me, I'd be depressed. Abigail is my best friend. Not just a best friend, but also my sister. She's helped me through the ups and downs of this cruel world. And now, I don't know if I'm getting out. Tim's lawyer kept saying horrible things about me and my past.

"Hey Rocky, I was wondering if you had any family around here?" Officer Peterson asks. I nod. "Yes, I have my grandma and grandpa Diaz." I say. "Oh ok. Nevermind then." he says. "No, what is it? What did you have to say." I stop him while holding his arm. "I want to adopt you." he says.