Ch.6

"You're the father of this baby?" Adeline asked, wanting to make sure she heard right.

"Yes ma'am." The man replied with a proud smile.

"Right.. Of course." Adeline responded, trying to keep her professionalism.

"You said you found the baby." Serena called out. Snapping Adeline out of her trance.

"Oh! Yeah, little peanut is right there. Looks like you're about 4 weeks in. I'm guessing you haven't started on prenatal care?"

"Why do you think I came here?" Serena asked with an eye-roll.

Adeline sighed, expecting the nasty attitude,  and pulled out a pen and pad. She then prescribed some medicines for her, and as she handed the prescription to Serena the father announced he had to leave for work. The 2 shared a kiss and he was gone. Serena turned to Adeline, with a smirk on her face.

"I know what you're thinking."

"And what's that?" Adeline asked, turning to Serena. Curious to hear what she has to say now.

"You want me to tell Theo the truth? To tell him that I don't love him, and i only care about his money. That this baby isn't his."

"I would recommend you do that." Adrline anwered truthfully.

Serena laughed, and sat up.

"Too bad. I'm not. This baby is a one way ticket to a life of riches and gold. Theo won't leave a pregnant woman behind."

Adeline stiffened.

"Oh.. Well, he won't leave a pregnant woman behind, who he loves."

"He deserves to know the truth." Adeline hissed, trying hard not to punch a patient.

"And what does that result in? Us breaking up, me losing my money, my parents disowning me for getting pregnant by some random guy. No way. Besides the father of this child is okay with everything since I'm already sending him money every month."

"So you're going to lie your way through life?"

"Of course. And you can't do anything about it. Because according to HIPAA you are forbidden to discuss patient confidentiality. Tell this to Theo, and you loose your job."

Adeline frowned at the threat.

"I pity you." She announced to the gold digger.

"I really do pity you. You must have had such a terrible life before hand to do such things like this. But know this.. Karma's a bitch." Adeline finished and walked out of the room.

***

Theo was walking into the hospital after being on the phone with his assistance. He stepped into the elevator and before the door closed a hand stopped it. Theo looked up from his phone and saw that it was Dr.Knight. At first he noticed how there was hesitation but eventually walked into the elevator. The 2 were quiet, and it seemed like the elevator was going slower than usual. Finally, Dr.Knight spoke up first.

"Why are you here?" He asked, turning to Theo.

"Excuse me?"

"You know, she's my best friend. And I can't help but only want what's best for her." 

Theo then knew what, more like who, he was talking about.

"So do I." He replied.

"Do you? Because to me, the best thing for her is to stay away from you. Yet here you are professing this undying love for her. After all the crap you put her through, and all the things she endured by herself. You think you can walk back into her life so easily?"

Theo sighed and turned to Zander.

"I know I messed up. I know I ruined what we had. But I want to try to fix it. I was blinded by lust, and because of that I lost her."

"You didn't just loose only her.." Zander muttered.

"What?"

"Nothing..All I'm saying is. Learn your place. You're the ex husband who left his pregnant wife for another woman who is good in bed. If that doesn't say what kind of person you are. Then I don't know what does." Zander announced, and then the doors to the elevator opened. 

Zander walked out, and Theo stayed. Thinking about what Zander just said. He was right. Because of his recklessness he hurt the most important person in his life. It was there he decided he would fight. Fight until his last breath. Fight every day for her. Fight for her love. Their love. He needed to prove to her that he changed. He needed to prove that he will always love her. He needed to prove to her that she will always be his number one priority. 

Finally, he reached his floor. He walked out in search of Adeline. Just as he was about to ask a nurse he felt someone wrap their arms around him from behind. He turned, and rolled his eyes. It was Serena. She had a huge smile on her face.

"Guess what?" She asked, hopping in joy.

He raised an eyebrow, signaling her to tell him.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a picture. An ultrasound.

"Say hello to our little peanut!" She squealed with joy. She then jumped into his arms. 

"We're going to be parents!" 

Theo was too shocked to even hug her back. He couldn't believe. He always used protection for a reason. He didn't want kids. Not with Serena. He looked around and saw how doctors and nurses were smiling at them. But he saw how one doctor was frowning. His heart broke when he saw her face.

Adeline stared at the 2. When her eyes met Theo, she tried to put a fake smile but couldn't. Yes, she may hate Theo, but she wouldn't want him to be stuck in a life of lies. Does he really deserve to be stuck in a relationship with a cheating gold digger who takes money from him to send to her real lover and taking care of a baby that isn't his.  She wants to think that he does. But she doesn't. How much she wishes to walk up to him and tell him that the baby isn't his. That Serena is lying. But she couldn't. Her job was on the line, and she worked so hard to get where she is now. She can't lose this job. 

Not being able to look at the scene happening in front of her she turned around and walked away. She was headed to go check on her patients when someone grabbed her hand and dragged her to an on call room. She was surprised to see that it was Theo. 

"I'm sorry." He whispered.

"It happens... You don't need to apologize. It's not like I'm your wife." She replied with a soft tone.

"Adeline.. I...I-"

"I have to go Theo." She announced, and just as she placed her hand on the knob Theo spoke up.

"How is it?"

"Excuse me?"

"I'm sorry. I said It. I just don't know the gender. Our baby.. How is..she or he?"

Adeline bit her lip, and turned to him.

"Trust me Theo. It's best if you don't know."

"Why would you say that? I want to know. Please tell me."

"No Theo.. I think it's best to just leave it."

"Adeline! Please! At least tell me their name! Or the gender. You can't just not give me any information on our baby. I know you may hate me, but I deserve to know! You can't just hide my child from me!" Theo argued, raising his voice

He was about to continue but stopped when he saw Adeline's face. Grief. Sadness. Her face was flushed. And it looked like tears were slowly forming at her eyes.

"Do you really want to know?" She whispered.

He nodded his head looking eager. Though on the inside he was terrified.

Adeline took a deep breath and locked the door. She turned to him,

"I think it's best if you take a seat." She warned.