Hero Over Heart

"Hey Seán, what do you want to do for dinner?"

Seán looked up from the game he was playing on his computer and removed his headphones, carefully placing them on his desk before shutting off his computer and standing up out of his gaming chair.

"Seán!" Signe repeated loudly as she walked down the hall past him, abruptly back-pedaling to stop in front of Seán's open room when she realized that he was there.

"Hey Seán." Signe greeted the Irishman with a light smile as Seán stretched his arms high over his head, his limbs popping softly in response.

Signe was dressed in baggy black jumper and tight black leggings, her lips colored with champagne red lipstick.

Her chocolate brown eyes sparkled with life as she toyed with the ends of her wavy brown hair, the ends barely reaching her shoulders.

"Hey Woosh." Seán yawned back sleepily, a smirk tugging up the corner of his lips as he shut off his computer.

"I asked what you wanted to do to for dinner." Signe reminded Seán as she stepped inside the room, Seán pulling her into his arms with a mischievous gleam in his blue eyes.

"Oh, I'm good with anything really." Seán answered with a small shrug as he slowly rocked side to side with Signe burying her face in his chest.

"Well then, pizza it is." Signe declared, her voice muffled by his plain black shirt.

"Sounds perfect." Seán chuckled softly, reluctantly allowing Signe to retreat from his embrace.

"Hawaiian pizza yeah?" Signe clarified, Seán nodding in response as she retrieved her phone from her pocket and walked towards the door.

"I'll order dinner, you finish your last video of the day so we can spend the rest of the evening together." Signe directed in a mock-serious tone, pointing a stern finger at Seán.

"Ma'am yes ma'am!" Seán barked in a deeper voice that cracked slightly, earning an exaggerated eye roll from Signe.

Signe glanced back at Seán as she retrieved her phone from her pocket and walked towards the door, blowing him a kiss from over her shoulder before she left the room and called the pizza restaurant.

Seán collapsed back into his chair with enough force to make the chair turn back around to face his desk, the dark computer screen reflecting his face.

"How could so much change in three years?" Seán wondered aloud in a weary tone as he carefully plucked the blue contact out of his eye, revealing the vibrant green pupil underneath.

"At least Robin can edit out any trace of my contact. The last thing I need is all of the fans commenting about how I have a septic eye." Seán softly murmured to himself, the Irishman lost in thought as he looked at the limp contact held in between his fingers. 

Seán hastily replaced the contact into his eye once he heard a series of loud knocks at the door, Signe already at the door before him.

Standing in the open doorway was a familiar face Seán hadn't seen since he was in high school in LA.

"Mark!" Seán exclaimed in delighted shock as he hugged the dark haired male, earning a deep chuckle from the hero.

Mark was clad in his dad's old uniform, the shield slung over his back glimmering in the dying rays of golden sunlight.

"What're you doing here?" Seán questioned curiously as he motioned for Mark to come inside, the male nodding in appreciation before stepping through the doorway.

Signe shut the door behind Mark as he sat down on he couch, his face betraying his weariness.

"Seán, I know we haven't been in contact for years, and I know you said that you didn't want to be an Avenger, but-"

"Mark, I've already told you that no means no." Seán sighed in exasperation, feeling a twinge of disappointment.

Of course Mark didn't come here just to visit me like a friend, Seán thought bitterly as he folded his arms across his chest.

"Look, this is a matter of life or death here! Why else would I be here!?" Mark yelled in desperation as he shot off of the couch.

"Because you're my friend!" Seán shot back, hurt evident in his tone as he glared into Mark's brown eyes.

Mark's features softened as he sank back onto the couch, his shoulders slumped in defeat as he cradled his head in his hands.

"There's no easy way to tell you this," Mark began as he finally forced his gaze to meet Seán's once more.

"But the world is in danger, and we need all hands on deck to save it."

"Why? What's going on?" Seán pressed urgently, icy fear gripping his heart as he thought of all of the villains that could be trying to take over the world as they spoke.

"Seán, you promised me that you were done with being a hero!" Signe interjected as she stepped in between Seán and Mark, her eyes shining with betrayal.

"Signe..." Seán trailed off, unsure of what to say that would convince her to stay.

He had to pick between saving the world or saving his heart, and he already knew his answer.

"We're done." Signe stated simply with a stern tone, the Danish storming into their bedroom and slamming the door shut behind her.

Mark and Seán winced in unison at the sound before Mark glanced over at Seán apologetically.

Before either person could speak, Signe burst back into the living room with a bulging full black suitcase trailing behind her, her pillow tucked under her arm.

Seán didn't dare try to argue with Signe as she left, both Mark and Seán wordlessly watching her stride down the sidewalk until she became nothing more that a black dot barely visible in the dark.

"So," Seán finally spoke up quietly, his voice strained as he struggled to restrain his tears and hold back the sobs threatening to escape him.

"What's trying to kill the world now?"