t w e n t y - f o u r

"Boo!"

"Boo!"

Her voice called out above the raging fire; an angel, come to save her.

"Boo, where are you?!"

Someone sounds frightened; as frightened as Boo feels. She tries to call out, tries to move, but the fog in her head prevents her from doing so.

God, don't let me die here.

The voice draws close as someone yells her name in terrified relief. Sturdy hands grip her arms and haul her up from the ground. Her eyes are clouded with smoke and tears, but somehow she knows Harry is with her again.

How could she think for a moment that he would leave her?

"I've got you, love," he pants, gripping her tightly with both hands. One arm hooks around her waist while the other wraps her arm behind his shoulders, so he's pulling her limp body along with him.

"H-Harry," she coughs feebly. "I thought . . . you left."

Green eyes flash over to meet her gaze for the briefest of moments. "Boo, I could never leave you."

Speech is difficult; the smoke steals her air and her thoughts. Her feet drag along the basement ground as Harry charges through the inferno, cutting them a path to freedom. Light begins to break through the black clouds and Boo can hear frantic voices, likely the other partygoers still left inside the church.

Time blurs and then she's outside, clutching Harry's shirt like a lifeline while she gasps for clear air. Crisp, cold oxygen slowly winds into her lungs, slowly clearing away the fierce rumbling cough from her chest. Each breath is physically painful but at least she's outside. Through watery eyes, she can see Harry watching her in great concern, his green eyes standing out electrically against the black soot coating his skin.

Sirens wail in the distance. The heat behind them continues to surge as more of the church falls prey to the flames. Several people still lingering on the church grounds begin to jog into the surrounding trees, heading away from the fire.

But not Harry. He continues to hold Boo securely, assessing her condition as she vomits into the grass.

"Harry, we've got to get out of here," she pleads hurriedly, right before a croup-like cough wracks her lungs.

He barely moves from his spot, his feet seemingly held to the ground by concrete. Boo does her best to straighten up and drag him away from the burning church. She finally catches a brief glimpse of his tattered appearance-singed hair, soot-covered skin, and tattered clothes-and wonders how the hell Harry managed to rescue both of them. That thought immediately flies from her mind when a snap of the fire brings her back to reality.

"Harry, move!" she cries, frantically pulling him. Her touch spurs him to action; he immediately turns and falls into pace beside her as they flee into the woods. The fire behind them is astounding; pulsing, swelling, writhing in agitation like some dark and dangerous creature. Boo wills herself not to look back, sure she won't be able to keep running if she sees the flames again. Fear keeps her adrenaline pumping and her feet in motion, but the ache in her chest remains and she wonders how long she'll be able to continue.

What Boo doesn't see, what no one sees, is the figure dressed in all black standing at the edge of the woods, watching silently as the fire engulfs the church. In their eyes is a reflection of the inferno still spreading untamed; a mirror of the destruction bred from their hand. Red and blue sirens wash over the singed exterior of the building and the figure makes their exit.

A burnt match drops into the damp soil of the forest floor. A black shoe stamps the match into the soft dirt, giving the earth one more secret to keep buried.

quick little update to put your minds at ease from the last chapter! how much do you hate me for that little cliffhanger? LOL

how's your evening going? are you celebrating christmas on tuesday? if not, are you celebrating any holiday this season? what are your weekend plans? xx