f o r t y - o n e

The following morning, Boo works a quick half-shift at the hardware store before getting off early in the afternoon

The following morning, Boo works a quick half-shift at the hardware store before getting off early in the afternoon. She confirms with Harry about their meeting up before she decides to walk to the fairgrounds, determined to avoid paying twenty dollars for parking in a dirt lot. She takes the quickest path she knows-a narrow, rocky trail that cuts down the side of her street, down the cliff behind Martha's house, along the shores of Jack Creek Lake, and winds through a small field to the fairground entrances.

Not even five minutes into her walk, as she steps onto the rocky banks of the lake, she notices another figure is out on the beach. To her surprise, as she draws closer, she recognizes the profile of Calum Waters stood alongside the foggy water, his hands wrapped around the base of a fishing pole. A small white catch bucket rests at his feet. He glances up as she approaches, clued in by the sound of her shoes crunching against the gravel shore. Like every time before, a too-wide grin stretches across his face at the sight of her.

"Hey, Mel," he beams. "How are you?"

His voice makes her skin crawl with chills despite the stifling humidity. She stops short a few feet away from him and digs her hands into her pockets, wondering which deity she's pissed off to deserve running into Calum again. "What are you doing down here?"

His bright demeanor is unfazed by her cold reception. With a gentle flick of his wrist, he sends the fishing wire reeling out into the murky water. Boo watches the bright yellow bobber sink below the water's surface before turning her attention back to Calum.

"Just relaxing," he sighs happily. "Thought I'd take advantage of the weather. Hasn't been this nice out in a while."

Boo glances around them, acutely aware of the gentle whistle of the breeze and the way the waves lap up against the pebbly shore. She's also aware of how secluded this area of the beach is; another realization that sends her itching to get away from Calum.

"I didn't know you like to fish," she answers blankly. Not that I ever bothered to ask.

Calum shrugs. "Found some old gear in my granddad's garage and figured I'd give it a try. I haven't been in ages but it's pretty similar to riding a bike-once you learn, you know it for life." He slides her a wry grin. "Care to join me?"

Boo struggles to swallow her discomfort. "I can't. I'm meeting Harry at the fairgrounds."

His demeanor immediately stiffens at the mention of Harry's name. His grip around the rod tightens and he throws a shadowy glance Boo's way. "I see. Are you and him official yet then?"

His question catches her off guard; she starts a little before her expression falls into a thoughtful frown. "I-I don't know what we are," she answers honestly. "We're Boo and Harry. Why does it matter?"

"It doesn't," Calum answers tersely. "Not to me, at least. But you should be careful around him."

Funny, I've heard the same thing about you.