chapter one

Peter sighed as he rested his chin onto his tucked knees. He sat still as the wind brushed past him, making him shiver a bit. Suddenly, a droplet dribbled down his nose, so he instinctively looked up at the sky. More rain began to lightly drizzle down, getting heavier by the minute. Peter slipped his mask back on and leapt off the edge of the building, aiming his web shooters at places to grapple from. He swung through the city, finding his way back to his apartment and slipping through the open window. He rounded on the window once he had softly landed inside, and cautiously shut it. He couldn't make too much noise, or his aunt would wake up and come in. He peeled off his suit and slipped on some pajamas, yawning as he slowly turned his head to look at his clock.

4:32 AM

     'Yikes...' he thought, wondering if he could stay up at school the next day. 'I stayed up too late patrolling... What if I fall asleep during class?' He thought while running his hands through his hair. 'Aunt May will kill me if my grades start dropping! I have to stay awake tomorrow, I'll just... have some coffee!' He nodded to himself and slipped under his bedsheets. He shifted and turned until he finally relaxed and closed his eyes. Sleep washed over him quickly, though he awoke in what seemed like only two minutes later.

***

     "Get up," a woman growled, frightening Peter. He sat up in confusion and rubbed at his blurry eyes, attempting to wipe the sleep from them. Why was Aunt May waking him up? He nodded to her and she turned, walking out the door. Peter quickly got up and looked over at the clock.

7:15 AM

     'Crap!' He thought, rushing to get dressed. 'I must've slept through my fifteen alarms!' He internally groaned, making sure not to do it aloud. May wouldn't be too happy with him complaining. Last time... Well, it doesn't matter. 'It's never happening again, I learned from my mistakes,' He promised himself as he threw on a sweatshirt. He grabbed his book bag and slung it over his shoulder, rushing out the door. He didn't have breakfast. He was used to it. May wouldn't feed him, she said it was too expensive and that she was 'trying all she could' to get him some food. He didn't believe her, especially when she occasionally left him at home alone to 'grab a drink with her friends.' How could she afford expensive wine when she couldn't afford to give Peter a small breakfast and no more than a granola bar at dinner?  He sighed as he popped his headphones in, waiting for the next bus. It was scheduled to come in 10 minutes, though even that was too much. He waited, scrolling through his phone, when suddenly he got a text message.

'Hey, Kid'

     Peter's heart leapt. 'Mr Stark?! What if he has a mission for me?!' He thought excitedly, though he calmed himself down, not wanting to hype himself up for a disappointment.

'Hi Mr Stark!! Do you need me for anything...?' He typed, starting to wonder if he was in trouble.

     'Maybe... maybe he doesn't want me to intern for him anymore... maybe he just thinks I'm too childish, and he's going to take the suit away because I'm too immature for it.' But before he could overthink it too much, the bus pulled to a stop in front of him, and the doors opened to welcome him to grumpy faces glancing at him before looking back at their phones. Peter stepped up and made his way to the back, where the only open seats were. He sat down, since all the poles were taken too. 'Why would you want to stand when you could sit?' He wondered, though dropped the thought quickly when his phone buzzed. He turned it back on and opened it, looking at Tony's reply.

'Just wondering if you wanted to come to the tower today.'

     Peter's heart leapt again, and his eyes widened. 'Wow that would be awesome!' He thought.