chapter ten

⚠️ trigger warning; violence/abuse

Monday

Music suddenly burst through the air, breaking the silence. Peter sat up abruptly, unplugging his phone from the charger and stopping his alarm. He slid out of bed, letting out a small groan at the loss of comfort. As he changed, he recalled what had happened the day before. Tony Stark had called him to tell him that the Avengers wanted him over for dinner again! Peter smiled at the thought as he stuffed his socks on his feet. Afterwards, he had just patrolled all day. He hadn't told Ned about everything because he wanted to see his reaction, and he hadn't had the chance to talk to him in person. As excited as he was, his stomach still filled with a pool of anxiousness. He couldn't place why, so he blamed it on hunger.
     He got ready for the day, brushing his teeth and combing his hair. Zipping up his backpack, he slung it over his shoulder and grabbed his phone. He stuffed it in his pocket and rushed out the door, checking the time.

7:03 A.M.

     He walked down the sidewalk to the bus station and waited.
     Finally, he was on his way to school.

***

     The first thing he noticed when he walked in the door was that Flash and his 'friends' were leaning against a wall, talking in a disorganized circle. When one caught sight of Peter, they pointed towards him. His face immediately paled and he ducked his head down, trying to maneuver past them. However, he felt his hood sharply yanked backwards, bringing him along with it.
     "Where's my English project, nerd?" Flash snarled, nudging him backwards with a slight shove. Peter's blood went cold.
     "What?"
     "My English project! I told you on Thursday!" He crossed his arms. "Where is it?"
     "... I-I don't have it..." Peter finally said, his voice barely above a whisper.
     "Speak up, loser," Flash growled, growing impatient. Peter gripped his books tighter in his arms.
     "I said I don't have it!" He said, raising his voice. "It's your project, not mine!"
     "Getting cocky, are we? Well don't," Flash leaned down, "because you're dead. I'm going to mess you up so much, you won't be able to walk straight for a week! You don't do what I say, you face the consequences."
     Peter didn't reply.
     "See you at lunch, Parker," Flash smirked, sauntering off; his buddies following close behind.
     So that wasn't exactly a good start to his day.

***

The day seemed to move too quickly for Peter, which he would usually enjoy. However, after Flash's threat, he wasn't exactly too thrilled when the bell rang for lunch. He collected his books nervously, shuffling out the door with the rest of the slow-moving herd, and heading to his locker. He quickly stuffed his books and shut it, pulling out his phone.

     'Meet me at my locker before we go to lunch?' Peter asked Ned, texting him and tapping his foot nervously as he waited for a reply. He looked around and grew as more kids poured into the hall. He really didn't want to be met with Flash alone again. He looked down as his phone buzzed.

     'K I'll be there in a min' Ned's text brought him a sense of security. 'Okay, Ned's coming stop worrying. You're Spider-Man, you can handle Flash at lunch.'

     He stood, leaning against his locker, waiting for Ned to come find him. Only a moment later, Ned was revealed. Two taller students had been blocking him from Peter's view but they veered off to go to lunch. Ned spotted Peter and came over to him, giving him a warm smile, followed by a confused look.
     "What's up? We usually meet up at the lunch table," Ned asked, concern in his voice.
     "Flash. I was supposed to do his English project, but I completely forgot, with the..." He lowered his voice "bullet and all..."
     "Yikes," Ned sucked in his breath. Peter just nodded his head, sulking.
     "He's gonna kill me," he muttered.
     "Yep," Ned nodded in agreement, though his face was sympathetic. Peter just sighed.
"Let's go."