chapter thirteen

⚠️ trigger warning; panic attack

Wednesday

     Peter woke up groggily, taking a moment to remember how to function. He immediately brightened when he remembered that he was going to see the Avengers after school! 'Even if I am just a charity case, I still get to see the Avengers!' He thought with a bright smile as he got dressed.
     Peter careened out the front door after he had gotten ready, unfazed when May yelled angrily after him. He practically stumbled as he bounced down the sidewalk energetically. He ran a hand through his hair to make sure it was still neat, and waited at the bus stop. He tapped his toe impatiently, excitement coursing through him. Popping in his earbuds, he played some music in hopes to calm him down. After all, he still had a long day of suffering before he could see the Avengers.

After a while of waiting, the bus finally pulled up. Peter clambered in, his spidey-sense immediately pricking him as he stood in the bus. He swept his glance around the bus quickly, locking eyes with Four and Five. They were sharing an earbud, seemingly listening to music. Their gaze didn't waver as he shuffled down the aisle, plopping down on a seat near the back with no one next to him. Peter tried not to stare at them, but his gaze kept subconsciously traveling to them. His music wasn't doing a very good job of muffling his thoughts. 'I wonder if they're going to follow me on this bus everyday,' Peter thought, forcing himself to look down at his feet.

     The ride to school was uneventful, but it certainly got more interesting as Peter hopped off the last step of the bus. Nervously, he gripped the long dangling straps on his backpack, repeatedly pulling them to make the backpack tighter and undoing them to make it looser. Peter shuffled towards the school, certain that the two women were following behind. He knew he should probably run from them if they were assassins, but it's not like he was a regular kid. Spider-Man wouldn't run away, he would get information. He pulled out his earbuds, about to turn.
     "Hey, kid," an arm wrapped around his shoulders, making him jump. Peter backed away, throwing the woman's arm off and turning to stare at Four. He hadn't realized how close behind they were. 
     "Hi," he replied, swallowing his nervous feeling. Four's cold eyes were trained on him as they stood. The distance between them was reasonably wide after Peter had stepped back. Five stood beside Four, but her stare had more warmth in it. Peter shuffled awkwardly in place, stuffing his hands into his pockets.
He realized he probably didn't look too intimidating; a short, skinny kid with a backpack and clothes that were slightly too big for him as he grew skinnier from lack of food.
During patrol, he would usually find a way to eat. Kind people often gave him food in thanks for what he did. Though, sometimes he would pass starving people on the street and give it to them instead.
Peter turned, walking away from the women. They followed, which he expected. 'I would imagine they managed to get their claws on information about me,' he thought as they walked to his school. 'I wonder how much they know...' He thought about May. His situation at home.
"Why are you following me? Why don't you just... kidnap me or something?" He asked, suddenly turning on them. They stopped, their arms crossed.
"Would you like us to?" Five asked, her head tilting.
"Well, no, but aren't you worried about me telling everyone about you?" He asked, nervously shifting under their gaze.
"I think you know better than to tell someone," Four spoke, her cold eyes boring into his soul. For a second he thought she knew he had told someone, but her eyes revealed nothing. He shivered, turning away and not giving a response. It's not like Ned had anyone else to tell, right? Peter trusted Ned to keep his mouth shut, but when he tried to swallow the nervous feeling he got, it just traveled down and blossomed in his stomach.
"Maybe I'm wrong here, considering I don't know too many evil organizations, but I don't think this is how it works. If your little... program... works like how HYDRA worked, shouldn't I be locked up and he brainwashed by now?" Peter crossed his arms, straight up asking them. He was tired of being thrown vague answers.
"Oh Peter," Five giggled. "We already know everything about you. Of course we usually just kidnap and brainwash our soldiers. But you're not like them, you're just an insecure teenage boy. You only have one pathetic friend, you get bullied, and your parental guardian is abusive. You have no one to turn to, so why would we even bother keeping you quiet?"
A chill slithered down Peter's spine. She was right. He didn't have anyone to turn to.
"I would enjoy your freedom while you can, Peter. You're an easy target, considering your young age and overall circumstance. We know you've already told your friend, but no harm will come to him as long as he doesn't spread the word." Five smiled.
"I think we're done here," Four blinked slowly, wrapping an arm around her partner's waist. Peter stood, frozen for a moment, before quickly walking away.