4. Concede

4. Concede

"Kawaru, you're already eight. Isn't it about time you stopped cooping yourself up, get out and attend school?" Nurse Chiryou sighed.

"Ms Oshie can't teach me anything I don't know," I insisted, "I'm better off learning what I need from the library and Grandpa Ken next door."

Nurse Chiryou seemed to be taken aback at that blunt statement, nearly dropping the cup of water she was about to hand me. 

I wasn't allowed to leave the hospital-- and although the hospital had a small school for other children like me, the teacher was not a professional educator-- but rather, she was a daycare teacher who specializes in babysitting. There was no provision of learning for anyone older.

I've learned enough to prepare for college in my previous life.

I didn't need to get the basic baby math down again.

"Education is important, but isn't it about time you get some friends?" she tried, "I mean, Mineta-kun hasn't been coming around lately, shouldn't you try to get some other people to be with?"

I clicked my tongue. "If you want me to go to school, let me go somewhere outside of the hospital," I argued.

Nurse Chiryou faltered, "you know we can't do that for you, Kawaru... your father is much too busy on a daily basis and we have the condition of your body to consider."

I gritted my teeth, not liking the sound of it at all, "enough. Get out."

Her organs work, but not fully, I once overheard a conversation between my father and the other doctors, most of your organs only wish to wish to half of what it should be functioning with. 

I had just roused, fresh out of a surgery-- but I kept my eyes closed when I heard them speak in hushed tones by my side.

Science won't work on her, Sei, a doctor urged, his voice flooded with concern, Fortunately, as of the moment, it has not give her any lasting, serious issues... but we can't say the same for the years to come.

I couldn't see my father's face at the time-- but I knew just what expression he showed. It must have been the same indifferent facade he always wore. 

My father never let his emotions get the better of him. 

We need to ask for help from the world, Sei. Quirks can save her, someone suggested hopefully, that's right-- what about Recovery Girl? 

Recovery Girl can only aid in healing capabilities, my father cut in sharply, bluntly, humans can't regenerate their own organs. 

I stayed in the hospital my entire life, and each year I get supposedly fixed up by surgeries and organ transplants that either reject me or never work as well as they're expected to.