8. Hero

8. Hero

"For that part," I leaned closer to Mineta, directing my attention to the worksheet on the hospital bed tray, "using the other equation might work better, don't you think?"

Mineta froze completely still beside me-- then he freaked out.

"That's what I was doing wrong!!!" he shrieked, "I've been doing it wrong the entire time!"

I could only laugh at he sobbed in a little ball of depression, agonizing over wasted time and failing to find motivation to start over.

"Alright, break time," I suggested with a laugh, "coffee, Minoru?"

Picking up the steel mug at the side, I offered him a cup of hot coffee in a paper cup. He took it dejectedly, sulking but accepting the offer with a rather pleased heart.

"Studying really isn't my thing," Mineta whined, "you've got it great since you don't get homework. Wait, why are you better than me at my studies?"

"Hm?" I took a sip of my drink, "I've gone as far as completing university textbooks, y'know, because I've had a lot of time."

At that, he was petrified.

"No way," he gaped.

"If you say so," I accepted it.

"That's not fairr!!" he cried, reaching for my sleeve. "You don't even need that knowledge because you're not having exams!"

"Now, now," I chuckled, leaning in closer to him as we sat on my bed, "I'll help you through it, alright? Then you can get those high scores in my place."

At that, Mineta leaned into my arm, and sighed.

The coffee was warm in his hands, and his weight was gentle against my elbow.

"I don't think I'm really up for academics, Waru," he admitted, "becoming a doctor, striving to get first place in tests, they're much harder than I initially thought."

At that, I only smiled, and leaned to my side, putting a little weight against him too.

"You sound like you've had it hard," I chuckle, "but if you give up now, you won't get closer to your goal, y'know?"

Mineta pouted, "I'm trying!" he argued, "I'm second in class, you know? That Iida brat just nabs first place every time, it's frustrating!"

"Second? Awesome!" I gawked, "even I've never gotten anything that high before."

People who can get high scores in classes are assholes! I've always hung around average, even previously-- eeek, Mineta's really smart, somehow. I guess it isn't without effort, but--

"No, Waru, you've never been to school," Mineta muttered.

"Boo," I sulked, "but it's true, Minoru, you're crazy good!" I cheered for him, putting my hands together in admiration. "Oh. And about that Iida, is it Ingenium-san's younger brother?"