6. Quarrel

6. Quarrel

"And then, Ingenium-san--"

"Yes, yes," Mineta mumbled, mildly irritated, "you've gone on about him for the past twenty minutes, Waru." He poured some water from a jug into a cup, handing it to me.

Taking it with a shy snicker, the smile on my face was locked on and unable to leave.

"Heroes are so cool!" I glamoured to myself, attention not too fixed on the cup of water near my lips, "they just kinda swoop in and save the day, y'know?

Even before this life, heroes were a concept of daily fantasies. The Marvel comics-- ah, there was that manga about the bald dude, too. It was a world where the concept of childish cringe was barely acknowledged, and people showed off their inner superhero in gaudy outfits and cheesy catchphrases.

"What's so cool about heroes?" Mineta sulked almost spitefully, "there's a whole bunch of them making a mess of the towns all day."

I flinched at the negativity just pouring out of the kid.

"W-Well," I tried, "if they weren't around, who'd fight the villains?"

"We have the police for that," Mineta snapped almost angrily, "heroes have been around for ages, and there's no dwindling of the amount of villains, either. I fail to see the concept of it."

"Now you're not making sense," I retorted, "if there are villains, there'll be heroes. We have quirks for that, right?"

"No, we do not," Mineta's response was quick, "our bodies just evolved from a naturally quirkless state. It's adaptation to help us survive as a society, not to help us kill each other easier."

My teeth bit down my bottom lip-- my fists clenched over the bed sheets. 

"It's not the heroes' fault the villains want to do it," I swallowed my words.

"It's not their fault either that death rates in villain subjugation have risen highly over the years," his voice was satiric, a jeering mockery. "Accidents. They happen, right?"

My words were left in my throat as a sour heat brimmed at the edge, bubbled in my thoracic cavity, and spilled through as tears in the corners of my eyes. I left creases in my blanket, sniffling at the warm itch of snivels.

"You're mean," I snarled, biting down on my lips hard, "utterly unreasonable."

"How about you stop your incessant fangirling,"  Mineta seethed right back, stressing on the word like it was an insult, "and start focusing on your own goddamn future, instead?"

Something in me snapped right there. My future? Any other situation I'd be yelling snappy comebacks about how insolent Mineta was acting. How rude and insensitive he was being-- how he was letting some sort of background anger boil over his head and releasing it on me--