The Night Court

Asta wasn't sure whether she liked all these people. Tamlin had left, so the nice female with blond hair asked if she wanted to play chess. Asta liked her. She was called Mor. But the fae she liked even more than Mor was the huge winged male sitting in the armchair. Asta sat on the floor in front of the chess set, aware that Mor was trying to speak to her, but she was unable to tear her eyes away from those imposing wings. She wished her wings were lined with as muscle as his were. She wouldn't even have to try to fly.

The male didn't speak much, even as the rest of the group joked and laughed loudly.

"Can you fly?" She asked him quietly, and the room fell silent as she opened her mouth. Mor laughed.

"He's one of the best fliers out there," she said - "For an overgrown bat," She added. She started to put the little wooden figurines back into the box, realizing there wouldn't be much chess being played. Asta cocked her head like a curious puppy.

"Can you go fast?" She asked, chest filling with newfound confidence. "I saw people like you on the way here," She said, her speech quickening with excitement. "They went very fast. They looked like birds -" Asta's outburst was interrupted by a group of people bursting through the door, immediately shedding coats and scarves.

A beautiful faerie with a shock of black hair which haloed her face and chocolate skin was greeted by Mor, who embraced her warmly and invited her down to the hearth. Behind her was a female who looked similar to the grumpy lady reading in the armchair. The same dirty blond hair framed her face, and their noses were almost identical. Her hands were caked in dirt, which she immediately went to the kitchen to presumably wash off. Beside her, a dark-skinned female placed lots of bags on the floor by the door. Her swollen belly was covered by a blue cloak, and when Asta looked at her face her breath caught. The lady had ice-blue eyes and sharp cheekbones, but the strict features were offset by wavy black hair, which hung just above her collarbones, and a warm smile. Her hands rested protectively over her stomach. And behind her, hand resting on the small of the pregnant female's back, was -

"LUCIEN!" Squealed Asta, who forgot about their audience and launched herself at him. He gathered her into his arms and hugged her tightly.

"Asta, what are you doing here?" He asked, looking around at Asta's company. "Where's Tamlin?"

Mor answered before Asta could. "He went upstairs with Rhys and Feyre," She said. "They had a lot to talk about." Mor pulled the special grown-up face Asta was very familiar with, so Asta didn't bother trying to discover what the adults upstairs were talking about. Instead, she watched the mysterious Illyrian receive a peck on the cheek from one of the new arrivals, who then turned to Asta.

"I've heard a lot about you, Asta. I'm Elain." She said, smiling gently. "It's very nice to meet you." She stuck out her hand and Asta shook it shyly. The lady's beauty intimidated her, but her kind eyes and smiling mouth set Asta at ease. Instead, Asta's attention slid to the female standing beside her godfather.

"Asta, it's about time I introduce you to Nova," Said Lucien, leading the pregnant lady to the couch.

"It's very nice to meet you," Nova said. Her voice was laced with an exotic lilt, and her tired eyes creased as she smiled. "Lucien has spoken of you many a time." She patted the spot beside her. Asta smiled politely and sat down, Lucien perching on the edge.

Everyone else had resumed their business. Elain was sat on Azriel's lap and Mor was playing another board game with the other woman Asta had not spoken to. Asta's attention was suddenly ripped back to the couple in either side of her as Nova spoke again.

"I would love to get to know you, Asta. Lucien is very fond of you, which means I am," She said, tracing idle circles over her stomach. "If you are staying for a while, maybe we could explore? I could show you this wonderful city,"