Epilogue

Asta sat at her desk cross-legged, chewing on the tip of a pencil. She had come back to Tamlin's house for some peace and quiet, but it seemed there was no way to escape the general hubbub of the city. Her thoughts were interrupted by Braelynn slipping into the small study.

"Hey! If Aiden asks about me, tell him I'm not around, okay?" Asta nodded absently.

"Wait. Why?" She put down her pencil and spun around on her stool. Braelynn looked ashamed.

"I'm embarrassed. You better not tell anyone, or High Lady or not, I will kill you." Asta leaned forward eagerly. Braelynn sighed. "I was at the hospital late last night, checking up on a sentry who - whatever, that's not the point." She narrowed her eyes. "Although, you never warned me that being General would involve such late hours." Asta grinned and shrugged.

"You are my Second, too. I mean, this is what you signed up for."

Braelynn rolled my eyes, then shifted uncomfortably. "Aiden was there last night too, and we were just talking, and then," Braelynn whispered, "we kissed." Asta gasped.

"I knew it! It was so obvious. He's been staring wistfully at you for weeks. Aiden really likes you, you know."

Braelynn blushed.

"He does?" Braelynn's face lit up. I mean, of course, he does." Braelynn cleared her throat and looked at the papers strewn across Asta's desk. "What are you doing?"

"Writing a letter." Asta sighed and picked back up her pencil. "To Tarquin. You know he has all these ideas? About equality, between all faeries. I want us to be a part of that. But I'm worried he'll say no."

"That's a great idea. And don't worry, how could anyone resist you?"

"I'm sure he'd appreciate my interest, it's just-" Asta stared out the window. "I don't know whether he would want to associate himself with me. I'm the first High Lady to do this alone, not to mention I'm a lesser faerie myself. I'm too controversial." Asta taps the pencil on the edge of the table. "At least, that's what Beron thinks."

"Tarquin declines you for those reasons, and that court isn't worth it anyway. And you aren't alone. You've got us. And if somehow we aren't enough, you've got ties to the Night Court, haven't you?"

"Well. Lucien's basically Day Court now, but I'm still in touch with Azriel."

"Just remember everyone wants to help. But also remember you don't need anyone. You are perfectly capable of handling whatever comes your way. You're our High Lady for a reason." Braelynn grinned at her friend and walked to the door. She started to open it, but it was immediately slammed shut again.

"No no no," She hissed. "He's out there." Asta rolled her eyes.

"For Cauldron's sake." She opened the door and shoved Braelynn out and then shut it behind her. "I'm just doing my duty," She called happily through the door. Braelynn's curses could be heard from the hall, and then she started quietly conversing with Aiden, Asta's Third.

Asta sat back at her desk and continued to rebuild her Court's future.