The Dawn Court

Asta was practically bouncing up and down with jittery excitement as she set down her bag on the worn front step of the cottage. Tamlin followed her, forlornly picking at a thread in his shirt.

"Can't you at least pretend to be excited for me?" Asta folded her arms. Tamlin forced a smile.

"Sorry. It's just... Last time someone I loved left me, I tore the house apart." He hung his head.  

"Hey." Asta turned to her father and pulled him into a crushing hug. "You won't this time, because you know I'm coming back. And also, I will be very angry if you ruin my room." Tamlin grimaced. Asta grinned and gave him another hug. 

"Okay, okay." Tamlin sighed. "Thesan is expecting you. I'll winnow you over." Asta picked up her bag in one hand and gripped Tamlin's with the other, taking one last look at the vibrant green forest.

*** 

Thesan was a beautiful male, poised and elegant, yet also welcoming and charming. He greeted Asta enthusiastically, and Tamlin slightly less so. None of the guards stationed along the walls seemed particularly pleased to see the High Lord of Spring either.

"I apologise if we come across as hostile," Thesan stated regally, "but you will remember the last time you visited my Court, your behaviour was not very pleasant."
Asta lost interest in the conversation as Tamlin began to apologise somewhat reluctantly for whatever Thesan was referencing. Instead, she turned her attention to her surroundings.

Thesan's palace was constructed from stone that seemed to capture the very essence of dawn. It was a pale pink-orange colour, and a huge window replaced one wall, revealing the beautiful Court beyond. Asta had no doubt that when the time came, the window captured the Court's mythically exquisite dawns. Asta stared out the window until the mention of her name had her snapping back to attention. 

"Asta, I was not sure whether you would prefer to stay here at the palace or down in Westhaven." Thesan gestured to the sprawl of glittering lights below them. "I assumed you would like easy access to the city, so I have lodging for you down there. Unless, of course, you would prefer here." 
Asta smiled. This is exactly what she wanted! Space to explore what was allegedly one of the most beautiful cities in Prythian. 

"I'm very grateful for the invitation, but I would love to be in Westhaven." 

Thesan nodded and gestured to a winged guard to take her luggage. "Orsen will escort you to the hotel. I would love to have dinner with you in two days time, to see how you are finding Dawn." 

"Of course." Asta smiled at Thesan before turning to her father. "I will send letters, okay?" Tamlin nodded, before drawing her in for another hug.

"I'll see you soon." He untangled himself from Asta before another two guards lead him toward the exit. Asta hurried toward the exit before she lost her nerve.

***

Asta couldn't help gaping at the room the guard revealed. He departed quickly after depositing her bags, eager to return to the palace. A large window opened out onto a small balcony overlooking Westhaven, and Asta could see the pale sun grazing the spires of the grand building across the city. She inspected them curiously. Surely there was enough time left today to investigate? She had come to explore, after all. She turned and found a sweater amongst the rest of her clothes and pulled it gratefully over her head. It seemed it wasn't mild sunny temperatures everywhere in Prythian.

It wasn't long until Asta had left the hotel behind her and started towards the towers, creating a map of the tranquil city in her mind. Only a few carts and horses filled the roads, and the inhabitants of the town all moved quickly and quietly through the streets with astounding grace. Eventually, she reached her destination and stood across the road from them, gazing at the structures in awe. 

It seemed that all the towers were all connected to one domed building in the centre, with walkways and bridges linking levels and towers together, worryingly high off the ground. Asta actually spied one figure on a bridge reach down to pass something to the male standing below on another suspended path. It all seemed to create a web, with paths crisscrossing and disappearing into others. Asta took one step closer but was suddenly jolted out of her reverie at the sound of someone's cry. She turned in time to see a cart trundle towards her, the High Fae at the helm looking increasingly distressed. She threw herself onto the cobbles on the other side of the road just as the horse pulling the cart trotted over the stones she had just been standing on.

Her breath of relief morphed into a gasp of pain as she stood up, revealing a long cut stretching down her forearm. Great. She hadn't even been here a day and already she was obtaining injuries. She didn't notice a male approach her, cradling a basket of groceries in his arms. 

"Are you okay?" He asked, offering a hand.

"Yes, I'm alright." Asta dusted herself down, avoiding looking at the green blood now trickling down her arm. 

"Well, you came to the right place to get hurt, at least," The male smiled, but Asta furrowed her brow. 

"What do you mean?" 

He laughed. "You mean you don't know?" He gestured to the monument before them. "This is Siva's Temple. Where the healers train." The male guided Asta towards the grand double doors. "You can go in there and you'll be patched up immediately. The students love when there's someone to practise on." Asta didn't love the sound of 'being practised on', but was also desperate to explore the area, and her arm was throbbing painfully, so she thanked the male and slipped between a crack in the intimidating doors.

Asta found herself standing at the edge of a huge hall. The floors shone and thick stone columns stood proudly, reaching all the way to the distant domed roof. This place was definitely a world away from the Spring Court. At the other end of the chamber, there was a statue of a breathtaking High Fae wearing nothing but a crown of plants atop her head. Three robed females - Asta knew from what Tamlin had told her they must be priestesses - were knelt in front of the statue. Their chants and prayer echoed around the room until they were nothing but sinister whispers. Asta didn't want to disturb the priestesses, so she walked toward one of the multiple doors, eager to find her way to one of the balconies lining the top of the room. 

"Oh. Hullo." 

Asta's view of the doors was suddenly blocked by a male. Asta took an involuntary step back. He looked young, about Asta's age, but stood a good head taller. He had tousled brown curly hair and wide circular glasses which covered his vivid green eyes. Asta's attention snagged on the feathery wings framing his shoulders. So he was a Peregryn then, one of Thesan's warriors. Had she broken a rule? Had Thesan changed his mind about letting her stay and was sending her home already?

"You're not really supposed to be here."