Flying Lessons Part 2

The House of Wind was breathtaking. Asta wandered the halls, taking in the majestic tapestries and beautiful furniture. She kept her distance from the large open windows looking out onto the city, but Azriel called her onto a balcony. She trotted over quickly, albeit reluctantly, and rested her head on the railing. 

"So." Azriel turned to her. "You ready to jump off?" Asta stuck her head over the edge but withdrew it quickly. 

"It seems like quite a way to fall," She whined, knuckles whitening on the rail. 

"If you fall, I'll catch you." 

"Can't we go back to the rock?" Asta tucked her wings tight against her sides. Azriel shook his head. 

"The rock's boring. You're better than the rock." Asta looked downcast. "Look, flying is in your blood. It runs through your veins. I taught my High Lady to fly, and she was born a human. If she can do it, so can you." He sighed. "For her, she had to learn everything herself. For you, it'll be like instinct." Azriel swung his legs over the rail. "I'll be next to you the whole time." Asta took a deep breath and nodded. Azriel lifted her up and over until her back was pressed against the balcony. He turned to her. 

"It's the perfect conditions. When you jump, you will fall, but then you spread your wings and you will catch the wind." Azriel noticed her worried facial expression. "Hey. If you can do it, we could fly down to the House. Imagine Tamlin's face when we fly past his window!" Asta couldn't help grinning at the thought. "Okay. You ready?" She inhaled deeply and nodded. "On the count of three. One, two,-" And Asta launched herself forward into the open air before Azriel could finish. She heard him calling, "Open your wings!" and she did, relishing the feeling of the wind running across them. She almost got whiplash as she stopped freefalling and hung in mid-air. Azriel was instantly by her side. 

"Amazing! Now flap." Asta found that she's already started. Azriel was right. She felt her animal instincts take over her body, twisting herself and adjusting her position to stay afloat in the sky. She whooped and soared toward the Earth, having a few minor wobbles in the process. Azriel didn't make a sound, but she could feel his exhilaration, she could relate to that feeling of freedom which must tear through his bones.

She looked down. The ground was still worryingly far away, but she didn't falter. How could she be scared when her wings kept her in the clouds so easily? Instead, she admired the sprawling city below her. Lights twinkled like stars, reflected in the silver waters of the river. It was beautiful. Asta's little heart was ready to burst. She whooped again and dived towards the glittering river. She heard sensed Azriel's wings beat together as he made to follow her. She sensed the air around her, feeling the updrafts and gusts of wind barrel in her direction. She navigated it easily, letting her body take over. Instead, she thought about how she couldn't wait to show Braelynn her newfound ability. She'd be so jealous. 

Asta swooped towards the house by the river, illuminated by golden yellow light streaming out of the windows. Azriel beckoned her toward a window on the first floor. Asta grinned and sped towards him. She approached the window and peered inside at Tamlin bent over a map. Asta knocked, and The High Lord and Lady of the Night Court looked up first. The Lady grinned and nudged Tamlin. He looked up and saw her, and Asta's chest filled with pride as his jaw dropped. Asta fought to keep her balance as the three inside opened the door-sized windows to let Asta and her companion in.

"Asta!" Tamlin hugged her and squeezed tightly. "How did you do that?!" Asta felt the adrenaline still coursing through her veins.

"Azriel taught me." Asta squirmed out of Tamlin's grip. Azriel shook his head.

"I didn't do anything. She already knew everything. In here." He placed a scarred hand on his chest. Asta smiled and pulled on Tamlin's sleeve to bring his head to hers.

"Can we go home?" She whispered into Tamlin's pointed ear. Because while she had been in awe of this sparkling city, she knew there was one place she'd rather be.