week 5 // Saturday

"Mum, this is Olivia. She's been looking after me for ages. I've been here for like 8 weeks and she's been helping me since the second week I was here. She's amazing."

His mother greeted me awkwardly, not quite knowing what to say to me.

"And this is the house. I've been sleeping on the sofa bed, and her parents are so kind to me, and I think you'll love them."
She turned to me. "Olivia, thank you, and your parents, for looking after Ashton."

I just smiled as Ash led her excitedly inside, showing her all around the house and telling her everything he loves about it.

"Yesterday, Livvi and I were making cupcakes and we spilt mix on the carpet, and it was so funny because I was trying to clean it up really quickly whilst she stalled her parents at the door, but they came in and they weren't even angry, they just didn't let us eat any of the cupcakes! And it was hilarious. And then, we sang for her parents to apologize for it, but it was so funny because I was singing in some dumb country voice, and Liv was singing opera and her parents were just kind of dying in the corner of the room and it was amazing." He was running around saying things like that about everything. Picture frame? Funny memory. TV? Funny memory. It was actually really funny in itself, seeing him act so childishly, and seeing his eyes light up like a kid on Christmas day.

After showing her the whole house, he led her to different places around town. School, the park from yesterday, and then he took her to the bridge.

"This is mine and Oli's bridge.We've had so many important conversations here, and she's made me feel really happy on this bridge just by saying nice things to me, and it makes me think of her every time I see it."

She smiled, and started walking around town, looking at things. She had the look of somebody who was trying to be happy for her son, but there was a hint of sadness, even disgust. She was following Ash around, nodding and smiling,and when he sggested that we go into a cafe for lunch, she obliged.

"So, Ashton... are you looking forward to coming home?"
"About that, Mum. I don't think Bankstown is my home."
"What are you talking about? Of course it is, baby."
"But it doesn't feel that way to me. I know nothing about Bankstown, and I don't know who I am there. I know that in Riverstone, I'm popular at school. I have friends. I'm really close to Olivia, and I'm making a few friends in music class too. This kid Luke leant me his guitar yesterday, and he was really nice. I know my way around Riverstone like the back of my hand. I know every shop, every alleyway. I know the people. I know where I'm wanted. I know where my home is. In Bankstown, all I know is that I hate it."
His mum had tears in her eyes. "You don't hate it."
"Yes I do, Mum! I would know better than you."
"You don't remember it, you said so yourself."
"I remember hating it."
I felt like a third wheel. I was sitting next to Ash, but all attention was on him and his mum. "Give me one bit of proof that life hre is better for you, Ashton."
He did something I didn't expect then. He started taking of his bracelets angrily, putting them down on the table. He then pointed to all the scars. "Because not a single one of these has been made since I arrived in Riverstone. Not one."

His mum's eyes welled with tears, and I assume she didn't know he cut. She reached out gently and tenderly took his wrist in her hand, stroking the raised marks. She was speechless just staring as silent tears dripped down her paled cheeks. Ash had tears in his eyes too, but they were angry, and he refused to let them fall and spoil his stoic expression.

"Every night I have dreams of life back "home". Of all the people at school beating me up and screaming at me, calling me all sorts of horrible things. Telling me how ugly I am, how annoying, how worthless. The torment me constantly, and then everyday I'd go to the house and fake a smile, because I don't want to upset you. Because no matter how much I hate my life, I could never hate my family. And I hate the nightmares, I hate reliving all those moments. I hate not knowing whether things will be better or worse when I get back. But I love knowing that I'm safe in Riverstone. I know that I have friends, and good grades, and that my talents are appreciated. I know that I'm loved here, by people outside of my immediate family."
"But- but why didn't you tell me?"
"Because I didn't want to hurt you, Mum. Because my flaws are my problems. But I don't have to face them here. I never want to go back."

At that point, the food came, and his mum curtly thanked the server and proceeded to sip her tea, occasionally stealing glances at Ashton's wrists, which he was slowly starting to cover up again, not leaving a single bracelet of the table. He used one hand to eat his sandwich, but th other one snaked under the table and intertwined its fingers with mine. I squeezed his hand reassuringly, as he and his mother simultaeneously wiped the last remaining tears from their tired eyes.

A few hours later, we were back at my house. Ash was taking as much time as he could to pack his bag, slowly putting everything in. He kept looking up at me, and I would send encouraging smiles back, but honestly my heart was breaking to see him leave. When everything was packed, he slowly stood up and walked over to my. He put his arms around my waist and I placed mine round his neck. He was about 2 inches taller than me, so I was slightly on my tiptoes to stare into his eyes. We hugged tightly for a good thirty seconds before he pulled away slightly.

"Don't forget me, okay Oli?"
"I won't. How could I ever forget you, Ash?" My voice cracked slightly at the end of the sentence, but I continued. "You have my phone number. My email, my Skype name, my address. You can contact me any way you like. We could talk every day if you'd like. But you have to promise me that you won't forget me either."

He promised, and we walked hand in hand down to where his mum was waiting in the car. He climbed in to the back seat and closed the door, waving out the back window as the car drove off. And, for the last time, I waved to The Boy.

∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴∴

The tears are real. He's gone. And there's only two chapters left.

This was torn between cute and sad but it's mostly sad and I'm just really glad that there's a happy ending to this story.