Chapter 4 - It's time for payback

HEY GUYS! I'M SORRY IT'S BEEN SO LONG SINCE I'VE UPDATED, I'VE JUST BEEN REALLY BUSY WITH SCHOOL. BUT NOW I'M BACK, AND WILL UPDATING CONSISTENTLY.

HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY THIS CHAPTER!!!!

P.S: THERE'S ANOTHER INTERESTING FLASHBACK IN HERE😏😏

Hazel

I came down into the living room to find Ashton seated in one of the armchairs, looking very occupied with something on his phone. He looked up at me as I walked into the living room, stomping my feet loudly on purpose.

I plopped down into the armchair opposite from him. Even I could act like I was busy. I picked up my phone and pretended to call Martha.

"Martha listen. Cancel the appointment that I have at 5 PM today. Something else has come up. And tell-" I was cut off by my phone actually ringing. I heard a scoff from Ashton.

I picked up the phone to hear that it was some dumb call from the bank offering a credit card.

"No, I already have a credit card, thank you very much." I cut the phone. Just then, the doorbell rang again. Thank god for that.

This time I knew it was Danny. I ran to the front door and opened it, ushering Danny in and bringing him to the living room with me.

"Why do these teacher's take so many extra classes? Plus they even gave me so much homework," he whined.

"It's okay, I'll help you finish it. Now go wash your hands, I'll get your lunch." I pushed him towards the bathroom and myself started towards the kitchen, only to stop when I heard Danny's voice again.

"Who are you?" he poked Ashton's shoulder, "And what are you doing at this time in my house with my sister?"

"So many questions," Ashton smiled, "And I'm not here to see your sister, I'm here to meet Grandpa, but he's sleeping."

"Oh." was all Danny said. Then he ran off to wash his hands. By the time I'd served food into a plate and brought it for him, he was already seated at the couch and having a conversation with Ashton. How nice.

"Did you eat your food?" Danny looked up at me. I didn't want Ashton to know that I hadn't eaten yet because I had been waiting for his sorry ass, so I just lied.

"Yeah, of course I ate. Why would I stay hungry?" I tried to sound nonchalant. I went and sat down on the couch beside Danny. Suddenly, my stomach growled and I was pretty sure Danny had heard it too, because he was now leaning towards me with his palm cupping his ear.

"Why did you lie to me?" he asked indignantly, "I can hear your stomach growling, and that only happens when your hungry. That means you didn't eat yet."

Crap. Why did kids have to be so damn observant?

"No, no! Why would I not eat? It's probably because I ate so long ago, now my stomach's empty again," I tried to convince them. Ashton was looking up at me, and I knew he could see right through my lies. I felt so embarrassed that I had waited for him like a fool and he'd eaten and come, just to scorn me.

Just then, we heard Grandpa calling, "Hazel, bring me a cup of coffee will you?"

Ashton's face lit up with happiness, and he practically jumped out of the armchair and ran upstairs to go meet Grandpa. I went to the kitchen, made coffee and I reached upstairs to see Grandpa laughing at something Ashton had said.

As I entered the room, Grandpa spoke, "See Hazel, he thinks he can beat me at chess. Huh! As if!" he chuckled.

I smiled. Ashton and Grandpa used to play chess all the time, and Grandpa would always win. It made Ashton furious, and he would vow to win next time, only to end up losing again. Nobody could beat Grandpa at chess. The last time they had played had been ten years ago, and they'd never finished that game as Ashton had to leave in the middle of it. Since then, the chess board had been kept idle, all the pieces in the same position as they had left them. Grandpa hadn't played chess ever since Ashton left.