Chapter Thirty Seven

Michael takes his hands away from Paige's face as he finishes talking and looks into her eyes.

She stares at him and he stares at her, both speechless after not seeing each other in over a month.

Michael just takes his fingers and wipes the tear stains off his wife's face.

Then he rests his hand on her leg and bends down to give her a kiss.

When their lips meet, he can feel that she's tense.

He retracts and he can see confusion in her face.

His stomach bubbles up with nervousness, "What's wrong?"

Paige looks down at her leg and then back at Michael, "Can you take your hand off my leg?"

Michael instantly removes his hand, "I'm sorry, was I hurting you? Are you hurt?"

Paige looks back down at her leg and shakes her head, "No, no you're not hurting me. Can you put your hand back on now?"

Michael's confused and worried that Paige has some brain damage now, but he does what she asks and lays his hand back on her leg.

Paige makes a gasp and he retracts his hand, "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean to hurt you. You must be bruised or something!"

Paige looks at Michael and he can see pure fear in her eyes.

He asks, "Is it too painful?"

Paige swallows and he can see she's terrified as she whispers, "I can't feel anything in my leg. I can't feel your hand and I can't move it. I can't move my leg, Michael!"

She's now about to hyperventilate as she tries to catch a breath and her heart beats faster.

Michael looks down at her leg, back at Paige, and down at her leg again.

He can't believe this.

He puts his hand over his mouth to hide his cry but Paige stills sees it.

She begs with him, "Michael, what happened to my leg? Why can't I feel anything?"

He looks back up at her and tries to speak, but he can't because he doesn't know the answer to her question.