05 | boys that smirk

kane | atalanta

kane | atalanta

Have you ever been so relaxed that you could die of relaxation?

Right now I'm sitting on my roof, doing my homework. Yes, we still get homework. Yes, I do my homework. And as I do my homework I have this perfect view of the setting sun above me and the barely there stars ever so slightly glinting in the sky.

This is my peace time. Sitting. Watching the stars while working. A small break from all my problems, except homework. I'm doing my literature work at the moment, trying to think of a suitable answer.

God, these essay questions absolutely kill my hand!

...but I still love them.

I scrawl down my thoughts and facts together into a swirl of what seems like a pretty okay answer and nod satisfactorily. The best thing about literature, is that there is no specific answer. Every answer is almost correct if it is reasonable with supporting facts.

I let out a breath, kinda exhausted by having to use the deep side of my brain.

Laying on my back, I look up. At the stars, now shining brightly against the dark sky.

As usual, my thoughts drift to more important matters. Like the talent show.

Mr Lykos still hasn't told us which song he's chosen, which is making me anxious; sometimes I can't sing specific songs because it just doesn't fit. I'm not sure why but that's just how I am.

Then I think about him. Kane. I saw him today, at school, and he looked so beautiful it actually hurt. I wonder if he thinks about me as much as I do of him.

I feel like a stalker.

Sighing deeply, I plug in my headphones and play my Monday playlist, smiling when I hear the opening notes of my favourite song.

I groan, pinching the bridge of my nose as I flick my pencil across the room.

Studying sucks! End of. I envy those people who just come to school without studying, do their exam, and get straight A's. Seriously. How?!

I don't think people give teenagers nearly enough credit. I mean, it's actually really difficult juggling all the homework, the studying, the stress and then the idea that we should look perfect 24/7.

Life sucks.

And that's an understatement.

As I'm lying sitting on my desk chair with my head in my hands, I suddenly hear the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs slowly.

Oh my god.

I start freaking out. Mum and Dad aren't home, they're on a date and they said they wouldn't be back until tomorrow afternoon! Who could this be then?? And why are they walking so slowly?

I bite my nails for a few second before I remember what my parents always told me.

"If someone comes in, then climb out the window."

I quickly lock my door and creep towards the window, unlocking it and peeking out. My room is on the first floor, meaning, it's not that high of a fall. But I have major height phobia.

I'd rather die from some serial killer than from jumping out the roof.

Okay, okay, calm down Atalanta, calm down....

My bedroom door starts jiggling frantically and I gasp in fear. They're going to kill me. This is it, my life is over! What happened to becoming famous, Atalanta?! Now I'll be forgetten forever!

I start panting quickly and then the door bursts open, making me yelp in fear. I cover my face with my hands and whimper.

"Hey I think your door is- Nat? What's wrong, are you okay?"

Wait...what?

There's only one person who calls me Nat and that is my annoying, stupid cousin, Ryan, who lives all the way in Australia.

I take my hands off my face and shriek, jumping back.

"Ryan?!"

Ryan smirks at me in amusement, and I scowl at him. Ughh he's still annoying! Even if all he's doing is smirking.

Even though I hate him, he looks good. Australia is good to him. His skin is nicely tanned and his light brown eyes glint evilly. His brown hair still looks as enviously soft as ever.

"Babe, I know I'm hot and all, but please stop with the staring, oh you're making me blush, oh my!"

Noo...