Chapter 5

"Loki... I'm here."

Loki turned his head and saw his beloved mother, Frigga, smiling at him with her arms wide open. Oh, he had missed her so much, and all he wanted was to run and envelop her in his hug, but doubt was raging inside him.

"But... you died... They saw you being murdered".

"You were supposed to have died, too, son."

Loki's doubts vanished in an instant, and he rushed towards her, right into her open embrace.

"Oh, son, you've always been so foolish." His mother's voice echoed in his head –it sounded so much like her, yet so different at the same time. His body never made contact with hers, for the moment his hands reached out to her, she slowly began to fade away until she was gone like dust in the wind.

Loki woke up, his whole body pitching forward, screaming aloud. He looked around him and some seconds passed before he realised that he had been dreaming. He turned his eyes to the door. Brilliant! This certainly echoed down the entire hallway. Well done, his inner voice mocked.

"Shut up," he grunted to himself silently.

"Are you alright, sir?" the voice of a guard was heard, and only then did Loki realise someone had opened the door and come in. Loki looked up at him sternly. "I heard a sound in the corridor. I think your chamber was the source, and I thought something might have happened," the guard continued.

"No, I'm fine –everything is fine. You can be excused," Loki said and gestured to the guard to leave, and the man obeyed.

Loki lay down again. This was a lie. You're not fine and you'll probably never be.

"Oh, shut up," he growled.

"I didn't say anything". This time it was Thor who had spoken, and who had just entered the room. Right. Thor's chamber was right next to his. Great.

"I was talking to myself. Close the door."

"To yourself? Anyway, I heard a scream," said Thor, shutting the door.

"Yes, it was me. And a guard heard me screaming too, and he'll tell Odin, and you know what follows."

"But why did you scream?"

Thor approached Loki's bed. "Nightmares," Loki replied with a sigh.

"How's your arm?"

Loki rolled up his sleeve. "A tad better."

"Come to have some breakfast."

Loki was about to answer –to refuse, actually, because his stomach had turned to knots– but then the door opened and Odin appeared on the threshold. Loki pulled his sleeve down quickly.

"What are you hiding there, Loki?" the Allfather asked.

"Nothing that Thor is unaware of. And you should have knocked."

Thor nodded when Odin turned to him, and then Odin looked back at his adopted son.

"The funny thing," mocked Loki, "is that you always trust Thor and never me."

"That's not the point!" Odin yelled.

"That's my point. That's my whole bloody point!" How hard was it for this man to understand? He was supposed to be a perceptive king –why wouldn't he understand that? "But I don't think that you came to discuss our opinions."

"A guard told me that he heard a sound from your room. A scream!"

"Of course he did."

"What do you have to say about this?"