Part 9

The first thing that I noticed when I woke up, was that I was warm. Actually, not just warm, but hot. Unpleasantly hot.

I kicked off my comforter, blinking against the stream of sunlight emerging from the slats in the shuttered windows.

I'm still here.

In a way, I knew I knew I would still be here, but it didn't stop the slight shock. Or the sinking, disappointed feeling that formed in the pit of my stomach.

I was still in Goryeo. That meant that it couldn't be a dream. I sat up, and immediately, my head began to throb. Another reminder. I was about to sink back into my pillows, when the door creaked open. "Ah, Miss! You're awake."

Chung-Hee set a covered tray on the vanity, before strutting over to me and propping up my pillows. "You were already asleep when I came in last night to bring your dinner, so I thought is was better not to wake you." She helped settle me back onto the cushions. "Does your head still hurt, Miss?"

"A little." Actually, quite a lot.

"I expected it would," Chung-Hee's tone managed to be both sympathetic and grim at the same time. "Such a bump you have on the side of your head...but no matter. We'll just cover it up with a piece of your hair, today."

"Great," I mumbled.

Chung-Hee's grin turned slightly mischievous. "Take advantage of it, Miss. It isn't everyday that you can rest, with no one disturbing you." She poured a cup of something from a teapot on the tray, then handed it to me. "Drink this, Miss. It'll help your head."

I obeyed, taking a sip after blowing a bit of the steam off. "Mm, that's good."

Chung-Hee smiled, obviously pleased that I liked her tea. "A secret recipe. Although I'm sure you can guess what's in it."

As I took another sip, I realized I could. I caught a hint of rose, and also something citrusy. It was a familiar scent, though I couldn't place it.

"And I brought you some breakfast too. You must be hungry, since you didn't eat last night."

"I am," I admitted.

Chung-Hee brought the tray over to me, placing it on the side table beside my bed.

"Eat up!"

As I started on the bowl of soup and rice—Chung-Hee thought something light would be better after I'd hurt my head--Chung-Hee busied herself with tidying the room and opening the shutters. She set a new pair of robes at the end of my bed. "After you are done eating, I'll help get you ready for the day, Miss."

Sure enough, as soon as I was done, my tray was whisked away, and Chung-Hee led me to the vanity table, where a bowl of rose water was waiting for me. She helped me clean my face, before helping me out of my old robes and into my new ones. Admittedly, even though it was weird having someone helping me dress and undress, Chung-Hee was clearly a professional, and having her help me was almost like having my mom or my grandma nearby—even if neither had helped me dress since I was about five.

As a final touch, Chung-Hee helped me fix my hair again, this time pinning it into a braided bun with floral clips. When she was finished, she held a mirror up for me to examine her work. As always, she made me look beautiful—but that didn't distract me from the fact that I wasn't me. Every time I looked in the mirror, I saw an image that was different from my normal self.

"Chung-Hee?"

"Yes, Miss?"

"I don't think I belong here." My bottom lip trembled as I spoke, but it felt good to say the words out loud.