Chapter 10: A Talk to Remember

Eventually, the party broke up on its own, and people started cleaning up and heading home around midnight. Ruthie thanked them, and her dads came out to help with the clean up, which was really minimal, because of the strategic placement of the huge recycling bins and trash cans.

As usual, Linda took a lot of the leftover pizza for her brothers, and the sodas and juice boxes just went into the large fridge that was in the Grimaldi's garage.

"Bye," Ruthie called, waving to Pepsi, who was getting a ride home with Gordo, as usual.

She turned to see Elliott pulling the last of the pool toys out of the water and letting the air out of them so they could be stowed in the bins.

"Oh, you don't have to bother, really, I can do it," Ruthie said, grabbing part of the huge, vivid, pink dinosaur float from him and squeezing it to let the air out.

"Oh, it's not a problem, honest," Elliott said, squeezing the half he still held. "I live closer than anyone, and it's a gorgeous night for a walk, anyway, so I'll take care of this, then head out."

"But my dads and I can do it--" Ruthie insisted, waving toward them. She was surprised to find that they weren't on the patio anymore, and that she and Elliott were quite alone.

Elliott smiled at her and gently took the pink dinosaur to finish squeezing the air out. It made a funny sound, reminiscent of flatulence, as the last of the air came out and the neck and head sagged to the ground. Elliott and Ruthie looked at each other and laughed.

"I have an idea," Ruthie said, lowering her voice to a conspiratorial whisper. "Do you have to go home right away, or can you stay a while longer?"

"No, I told my grandparents where I'd be, and they're fine with it," Elliott replied, smiling with expectation.

"Okay, put Dora away, and wait in the hot tub," Ruthie instructed as she walked lightly toward the house.

"I'll assume this is Dora?" Elliott called with a laugh, raising the flattened pink pool toy. He put her away and went to the jacuzzi, which was still warm and bubbling from the party. As he was lowering himself into the water, the music changed from the loud, pop music of the past seven hours to a more quiet playlist.

Ruthie was back in less than five minutes. In one hand she carried two wine glasses. In the other, she carried the wine Elliott had brought earlier. She hoisted it victoriously as she arrived at the hot tub.

"I knew he wouldn't be able to resist opening it," Ruthie explained. "Dad loves good wine. He dove right in as soon as Pop got home, and they drank half of it, but he said we could finish it when I told him you weren't driving home."

She poured them each a glass with her feet hanging in the hot tub, handed Elliott his glass, then slid in to sit next to him.

"To new friends," she said.

"Here here," Elliott said as they clinked glasses.

"Oh, Dad was right, this is yummy, very crisp," Ruthie said.

"Yeah, it's a nice one," Elliott agreed.

"So how did you get it?" Ruthie asked. "I mean, I don't know your grandparents very well at all, but I can't believe they're okay with buying alcohol for you to take to high school parties."

Elliott leaned his head back against the brick, letting the jets pummel him.

"No, no, they wouldn't be okay with it, would they?" he agreed.

"So?"

"So, I have an acquaintance who owns a liquor store in Cooper's Landing who'll sell to me."