Chapter 22: Shoop, Shoop, Shoop

AN: You can thank the NFL for the double update 😉 And I think I have to hit the "mature" switch today...

☃️❄️☃️❄️☃️❄️☃️

"Pop?"

"Yes?"

Silence.

Phil, who had the rare Saturday morning off, was relaxing reading an actual book while sitting in his favorite chair by the back yard window. Todd was outside, putting in a few bulbs and spreading mulch.

Phil finally looked up, leaving Gus hiding under a riverbank while under full attack from Blue Duck and his men.  He sighed as he looked at his daughter, who was sitting on the ottoman in a blue-gray sweater that brought out her gorgeous eyes and showed off her new curves.

"You're growing up while I look at you, Rosebud, and I want it to stop," Phil said, shaking his head. "I don't know what we're going to do when you leave us and go off to law school."

"Pop, that's not what I wanted to talk to you about," Ruthie interrupted.

"Well, I acknowledged you and got only silence in return, so I assumed the topic of conversation was up for grabs," he teased as he gathered her into his lap.

"Pop! I'm too big for this!" Ruthie shrieked as she nearly fell. Her sound brought Amal Clooney on the run, barking as she tried to jump on top of both of them and join in the fun.

"No! Looney-Clue, ouch! Off, Off!" Ruthie cried in vain. They finally ended up in a pile of doggy and human love, in a big tangle in the chair.

"So, you were saying?" Pop asked after they were all settled. Ruthie was more or less in Pop's lap, and Amal was sort of sprawled across both of them, tail waving from time to time.

"You know how we go to Tahoe every year?" she began.

"Mm hmm," Pop said, nodding as he patted the dog on the head. They always went to Lake Tahoe for a week right before Christmas, to enjoy the snow and to ski.

"Well, you know how we've taken friends of mine in the past?" Ruthie continued.

"As I recall, it was Amelia once, because her mother had to work, and Linda once, because her parents had to go to a funeral," Pop corrected, smiling at what he knew was coming.

Ruthie heard his words and rolled her eyes. "Why do you put me through this, and grab me and tickle me and all that, if you know what I'm going to ask?" she complained.

"Because I'm your father and I live to see you suffer," he answered, as if it should be obvious.

"So okay, then, I was wondering if Elliott could come with us?" Ruthie asked, tucking her head into her father's neck.

"What about his grandparents?" Pop asked. "They're not super-fond of people like me and Dad. I can't imagine they'd say yes."

"Well, we haven't asked yet, because we wanted to see if you'd say yes first," Ruthie explained. "But they have this thing where they really really want Elliott to go to church with them, and he can tell them he'll go to all the Christmas stuff they do if they'll let him come, get it? And he'll tell them that he'll have his own room, and everything will be all proper and everything--and I could tell you and Dad the same thing," she concluded, her voice getting soft. "I mean, you know that, right? Elliott and I, we--aren't at that place in our relationship yet."

Pop nodded. "Yes, your dad and I do know that, and we're happy that you guys figured out that was the best thing without us having to get all protective and bossy and get our whips out and all that." He kissed Ruthie on the cheek.