Step Off!

Shane, my step dad, drove me to school. When he pulled up, I started to get out.

"Wait, I need to talk to you."

He got out of the car with me.

"Ok, I noticed you've been concentrating on music than your schoolwork."

"That's not true."

"Don't play all innocent with me!"

"Just because you're my stepfather doesn't mean you have to act like my real father!"

"You shut up young lady! I am a part of this family. I am the grown up, you are the child and you will do exactly as I say. Now, school work comes first. From now on, no more music, homework and chores are your main priority right now! Since you're gonna act like a brat, I will make your life a living hell."

"You already are."

He shoved me.

"Don't you dare. Wait until I tell your mother about you and your fat mouth. We will make sure you are suffering, your albums will be taken away. Give me your CD player."

I gave it to him.

"As for your tambourine, practice it because it's for your music class. Now get to school."

I went to class. I laid my head down and silently cried. I stopped in time for Mr. S to show up.

"Ok everybody, class has begun. I think you guys have been doing real good in here. If I was gonna give you a grade, I'll give you an A. But that's the problem, rocking ain't about doing things perfect. Who can tell me what it's really about?"

Frankie raised his hand.

"Frankie."

"Uh, scoring chicks."

"No, no, see, no. Eleni?"

"Getting wasted."

"No, come on, no! Leonard."

"Sticking it to the Man?"

"Yes! But you can't just say it man. You gotta feel in your blood and guts. You wanna rock? You gotta break the rules, you gotta get mad at the Man, and right now I'm the Man, that's right I'm the Man and who's got the guts to tell me off, huh, go ahead and tell me off."

"Shut the hell up Schneebly!" Freddy said.

"That's it Freddy, that's it! Who can top him?"

"Get outta here stupidass!" Alicia said.

"Yes Alicia!"

"You're a joke, you're the worst teacher I ever had," Summer said.

"Summer, that is great, I like the delivery cause I felt your anger."

"Thank you."

"You're a fat loser and you have body odor," Lawrence said.

"Alright, alright, now is everyone nice and pissed off?"

"Yeah!"

"Good, time to right a rock song. What makes you mad more than anything in the world!?"

Billy raised his hand.

"You."

"Billy, you already told me off, let's move on."

"You're tacky and I hate you."

"Ok, you see me after class. Any one else."

Gordon raised his hand.

"Gordon."

"No allowance."

Mr. S started playing.

"I didn't get no allowance today so now I'm really ticked off! What else makes you mad, Michelle?"

"Chores."

"I had to do my chores today so now I'm really ticked off! What else?"

Leonard raised his hand.

"Bullies."

"Oh you bullies get out of my way cause I'm really ticked off!"

He walked to me.

"So what would you say to a bully, Zelda."

"I don't know."

"Nah come on. If someone was right up in your grill, what would you say?"

"I don't know."

"If someone was pushing you around and telling you what to do, what would you say?"

"Step off." I shrugged.

"Step off! Step off! Step off! Step off! Everybody!"

"Step off! Step off! Step off! Step off!"

"When I do what you say, I might turn into robot. Do my chores day after day, they're ain't no money in it. So step off. Step off! Step off! Step off! Step off! Everybody!"

"Step off! Step off! Step off! Step off!"

Mr. S was screaming, he kicked a desk. We were laughing.

"Alright, now that...was a perfectly decent rock song."

As we were heading out of the room for the day, Mr. S stopped me.

"Zelda can I talk to you?"

"Sure."

I walked to him.

"I saw the heat between you and your dad."

"Step dad."

"Divorce is hard, even on a child, ain't it?"

"Very."

"I know how you feel. The reason I called on you is because he really looked like a bully."

"He can be."

"I mean, the way he shoved you. Next time he does something like that, tell him to 'step off!"

I nodded

"There might come a time he might do more than just shove you. I'm not saying he will. I'm saying it's ok to ask for help if you need it. If he does it. Come tell me, I'll beat his - just kidding. Seriously, tell me and we'll figure something out, ok?"

"Ok."

"Alright."

He pat me on the back as I left.