Inconvenience

I swayed, stumbled and managed to get my balance again, continuing down a dark, small street in London. The sharp corners of the wind scratched my skin as I felt each individual goosebump prickle my arms and the trees rustled wildly. The sound of my shoes hitting the pavement echoed slightly against the walls of the old houses either side of the empty road was all I heard.

George knew I was high when I left the bus and insisted on walking, although I wasn't sure which direction to go in- I knew I was close to my apartment.

The road I was walking down was dimly lit by a few streetlights and my shadow was cast tall and dark over the concrete.

I began walking down what felt like a familiar alley next to a concrete multi storey car park and didn't seem to hesitate as I approached a dark figure.

I suddenly remembered why I was there.

"You sure you want these, Matt?" Jai's hushed question played through my head repeatedly as I reached out for the baggy and shoved a few notes back to him. Barely taking a look at the contents.
"Cheers" I nodded, almost tripping over myself as I walked away again and rubbed my eyes. Not tonight. I told myself as I shoved it into my pocket and kept walking.

I closed my front door, smirking to myself as I stumbled into the kitchen- almost smug that I'd gotten here.

=

"Matty, it's the afternoon" I forced myself to open my eyes as I felt a kick in my side and looked up to see George towering over me. "I'll get you some coffee" he sighed.

I shifted, sending feeling over my body again and a cold surface touched my neck. Looking down, I discovered I was on my kitchen floor, fully dressed and the strong smell of alcohol, weed and God knows what else invaded my nose.

"Did I...?" I croaked part of my question, grabbing hold of the kitchen side and pulling myself up. George must've let himself in to see where I was.
"You had a few last night, if you couldn't already tell" George put the kettle on as the pulsating in my head became apparent and I shook my coat off. I draped it over the kitchen chair and then pulled my shirt off, throwing it in the laundry.

"I need a fucking shower" I wiped my face with my hands, sighing and slipping my shoes off before walking to the bathroom that was down the hall. I locked the door and stood in front of the medicine cabinet, looking at myself in the mirror. My dark circles matched how exhausted and ill I felt today, partly from my hangover but mostly from the drugs.

I opened the cabinet, casually finding the little bag that I'd hidden behind painkillers and poured a little of the white powder out onto the back of my shaky hand. I quickly snorted it, knocking my head back and sniffing a bit more, trying to wake myself up. I put the bag back and shut the cabinet, swiftly turning the shower on and pulling my clothes off.

As soon as I finished in the shower, the coke had kicked in and I felt more alive than I did this morning. I wrapped a towel around my waist and grabbed my clothes, walking out of the bathroom and into my bedroom opposite.

I briefly saw George putting my coffee on the kitchen table as I walked into my room, dropping the towel and beginning to put some clean clothes on.

"Have you spoke to Imogen in the last twenty-four hours?" I heard George call from the kitchen, almost sarcastically, as I pulled a shirt over my head. I bit my lip, I hadn't even checked my phone.
"I dunno" I called back, trying to pull some black jeans on quickly. "Can you bring me my phone? It's in one of my coat pockets"

George hummed and I pushed my hair back, thinking about the last time I'd seen my girlfriend. Two days ago.

"Are you fucking kidding me, Matt?" I suddenly heard George yell and quickly walked out of my room to the kitchen.