Chapter Thirteen: The Lesson of Time

Emelie woke up to a new form of emotion and feeling, it wasn't sudden boredom of waking up to do the same routine of lessons and staring at the plain wall, nor sudden fear and anxious to leave a place that doesn't have an exit. This feeling felt warm in her chest, her mind was clear along with the sky, her skin warm with the help of the sunlight peaking from the thin curtains, and she sighed in content as of looking forward to her day. Peace... That was the only explanation on why she felt so glad to wake up and face the world, to get dress even if the corset suffocated her, and go to breakfast with a former cold old woman that was not sharing the same feeling of peace.

Breakfast went well, not exactly what Emelie expected, especially when the meal consisted of silence and no form of rude gestures or comments- just complete and utter silence of comfort. Right after breakfast, Emelie excused herself from the table and the lovely home. Raj was outside, standing in his alert position beside the black and purple carriage with different set of large black stallions.

"Are you ready, mahodaya?"

"Yes, Raj, I am." With her black laced gloves hands, she palmed the letter with care. Emelie no longer wore all black, but she did wear dark clothing- purple, and a little black to show the loss was still affecting her in a way; of course, a lie.

The strong Indian man gave a small bow before opening the carriage and helping Emelie in. The young woman took a deep breath of fresh air that smelt of blackthorn trees, she wouldn't have thought a simple landscape would make her so at ease. The postal was on the out skirts of the village, Emelie had no problem doing the short transaction, which consisted of her paying two shillings- meaning by her, it was actually Raj who gave away his hard earning money because of her lack of knowledge on working-class businesses.

The village was more crowded than Chartres and Netherlands, tall buildings all around, brick roads, and vendors that sold foreign jewelry, clothing, food, and spices; there were even palm readers and musicians near by that Raj made sure to stick to Emelie like glue when approaching the thick crowd surrounding two young drummers from Jamaica. Large smiles were upon their faces as they pat their hands along the surface of the drum, making a fast beat that made their hips sway side to side and a few fellow dancers from their group to show their passion. Natives threw money at their feet, Emelie didn't see it as a suitable way to hand someone money and to have them being displayed and praised like animals, but the street performers loved it and continued on to please the crowd with their culture.

Raj and Emelie adventured further through the village, the vendors disappeared now that they weren't in the entrance of the village, the buildings turned into wider homes and even a few businesses; banks, dress shops, shoe makings, and a butcher shop that sold been and swine. The village was so developed, organized with different class and race, Emelie never seen it before. However, the structure and development did not stir her away from her own home, even if Netherlands weren't perfect and not as developed and fun; she could not turn her back on it.

"What should I expect from Sir Jacob?" The young woman asked once her feet touched the gravel. She eyed the manor closely, the light gray stones that looked silver under the sunlight, it was bigger than Martha's with a room with all glass- Emelie can see the healthy green vines growing along the glass.

Raj took a second to think a reasonable answer that will calm the Princess, "Sir Jacob is a gentleman, that's all I can say. We have not shared many words in the past. I assure you, mahodaya, you're Martha's guest- Sir Jacob would not harm you unless he wants to ruin their friendship. He's a political man along with being a gentleman, he knows the consequences of such."

Emelie didn't feel better, in fact she sees Jacob as no more than a mean politician that father hangs around occasionally. She sighed heavily before leading the way to the white painted door, which was already opened by an old butler with snow colored hair, flappy cheeks, and a dull gaze that showed his exhaustion- yet, he still gave a perfect bow and stepped to the side rather quickly. "Welcome Princess Emelie." He spoke in a low voice. "I will escort you to the sitting room where Lady Grais is finishing up her morning lesson. Sir Jacob is currently entertaining Duke Franklin and will not be done anytime soon."