↣ | Secret Six

s e c r e t  s i x

s e c r e t
s i x

I never thought that a rich pureblood family would travel the muggle way, but today I found myself crammed into the backseats of a small yellow car with Eleanor and Molly and the twins. I sat on the right by the window and was grateful I could see outside. Otherwise I would've felt claustrophobic with all the people in such a small space, with the walls of the car crushing me from all sides.

I felt that way a lot lately. Felt as if someone had me in their grasp, squeezing tighter and tighter until eventually I was just going to stop breathing. Until eventually I was just going to stop feeling altogether.

Fabian said I was a baby for not liking being around people, and then the next ten minutes were spent with Eleanor scolding him for being so insensitive and him arguing back that he didn't want to sit next to a weird girl who didn't talk.

That made me angry, and without meaning to, I accidentally made my book fly off my lap and hit him smack in the forehead. I felt so bad that I actually apologized and everyone went silent, their eyes wide because it was the first time I had spoken in front of all of them.

"Wow," Gideon said. "She does talk."

"Gideon!" Eleanor scolded, glaring at him in the front mirror from where she was steering through the busy London streets. "What have I told you?!"

"It's okay, Mrs. Prewett," I said, giving her what I hoped was a sweet smile. "He's right. I don't very much like to talk these days."

Eleanor sent me a loving smile. "Oh, don't you worry my dear. We're all trying to understand, and we want you to feel comfortable." She glared at the twins. "Isn't that right, boys?"

"Of course mother," Fabian said.

"Whatever you say, mother," Gideon said.

I'm certain Mrs. Prewett knew they didn't totally mean it, but there was only so much she could do. The twins were some of the biggest troublemakers I'd ever met and they got away with almost anything.

We made it to Diagon Alley in just under an hour. Mrs. Prewett gave me a small pouch for money, and told the twins to listen to Molly. Then she pushed us into the alley and disappeared to go shopping on her own, grabbing all our books and school supplies. We, on the other hand, set off to get my money, find new robes, a broomstick for Fabian who had damaged his in a quidditch game the year before, and some ice cream at the parlor.

It was a quiet outing, the twins walking up ahead of Molly and I, being their normal goofy selves. Diagon Alley was in a frenzy, full of people of all ages pushing around to find the things they needed. I used to love being around people, but now all I wanted to do was curl up at my window with my letters and my books.

We finished shopping at six and made it home just in time to have dinner before bed.

I fell asleep in a new fuzzy sweater that Molly had bought me, and I thought that maybe, just maybe, I could have a home in the messy house of the Prewett family.

⋘ ──── ∗ ⋅◈⋅ ∗ ──── ⋙

Bryla Love ❀