Chapter 27

Bones POV

She made it, she survived the surgery, but she looks like she's been hit by a truck. Well, she was hit by a walk in freezer, but still, her face is so swollen no one would know it's her, but I do. Her left arm is burnt, her whole body bruised, I wanted her to be alive, more than anything, but to see her so badly hurt, the pain she's going to be in when she wakes up, I hate it. All I can do is sit next to her and hold her right hand, the only part not injured. I lie back just listening to her heart monitor beep, along with all the other machines keeping her alive.

"Sorry to disturb you, I'm Dr Latham, I operated on Miss Wilkins." I turn and see an older man in dark scrubs entering the room

"Hello, I'm her friend Mark." I hate that, I'm not her friend, I'm her man, she's my old lady and she's going to be my wife as soon as she wakes up

"The surgery was successful and I managed to relieve the pressure, but I'm concerned that there may have been damage to the brain." He pauses

"What does that mean?" I ask

"Well, we won't fully know until she regains consciousness. The part of the brain that was possibly damaged will more likely than not effect her mobility, but she could have memory loss too. I'm afraid it is just a waiting game now, but I am hopeful that she will wake up, which is more than I hoped for when I originally assessed her injuries. She's lucky." He says before excusing himself and leaving. Yeah, she's really lucky, barely alive and fuck knows what will happen when she wakes up. When will she wake up?

I stayed by her side and never moved, I couldn't leave her, I had to be by her side in case she wakes up, but as the days rolled into weeks my hopes were fading. Mick steered the investigation away from my club so we are in the clear, I still have to pretend to be Vi's friend when that idiot Mick calls "underling" is around, but the visits from the CIA are getting less and less the longer she stays asleep

"Morning Bones." Erica says coming in the room. As my club had to steer clear and keep our heads down Erica has been my messenger from the club, giving me messages from Bear and sending stuff back. She brings me clothes and food, she always offers to sit with Vi so I can take a break but I can't leave her.

"You gonna shower today? It's been weeks, maybe she's still passed out because you smell so bad." Erica jokes looking over to Vi. It's been 4 weeks since her surgery and her face is almost back to normal, still bruised but now you can see her features again. Her arm is still pretty bad from the burn and they said it's going to scar, but as long as she wakes up fuck the scars.

"I'm not leaving this room until she wakes up Erica, you know that." I reply taking the plate of food from her

"Come on Bones, just this once, there's a shower in there, you can be done in 5 minutes while I sit with her, the slightest movement and I will come and get you. If she wakes up and sees you looking like this she'll fake amnesia to get away." Erica keeps trying to joke to keep me going, but it doesn't work. The only thing that will work is seeing Vi's eyes open again and hearing her voice.

"Ok fine, 5 minutes and anything at all you come and get me." I reply as I take the bag of clothes from her and head into the bathroom attached to Vi's room.

I don't even wait for the water to heat up before I strip my clothes and step under it, quickly soaping my hair and body so that I can get out and get back to her. I think back to when Vi and I used to shower together, our bodies pressed together under the hot water. We will have that again, I don't know when, but we will.

I quickly dress in clean jeans and a shirt. I hate these damn clothes but Mick said I need to make sure I don't look like a biker in case his underling gets wind of what happened.