four

the winters and andrews family all sat together for dinner. autumn sat between billy and jane, and hated every minute of it.

that night, janie served chicken soup for dinner- featuring the potatoes autumn had helped peel. prissy, mr. and mrs. andrews, and autumn's parents all held a conversation since they were the eldest at the table. the others, however, stayed silent until jane brought up schooling. "so, autumn, how is school going so far for you?" she asks, looking at the girl while sipping a spoon full of soup. autumn quickly chews a chunk of potato, and glances at billy before answering. "it's just fine, i suppose. nothing very exciting has happened so far. how about you?" jane nods as a signal of understanding, sending a quick glare to her brother across from her.

it was no secret to the andrews sisters that billy was a bully, but they couldn't do anything to stop it. he loved his sisters, and would do anything for them. but he just couldn't stop teasing.

"me as well, mr. philips is still so dreadfully boring. but i do suppose i am learning something from it. unlike someone i know, who doesn't even pay attention." jane laughs, looking at her brother at the end. billy rolls his eyes as he finishes off his soup, dabbing the corners of his mouth with the napkin. "billy andrews, you said you were doing just fine in school! seems to me like i need to begin checking with your teacher." mrs. andrews scolds angrily, billy stares into his empty bowl. now everyone was included in the conversation. autumn reaches forward and grabs her glass of water, taking a long sip to cool her throat. "you know, autumn is passing every lesson. i'm sure she'd gladly help billy understand what he doesn't already." mrs. winters says, causing autumn to choke on her water and go into a coughing fit. "i-i'm sure i can figure it out on my own." billy stutters nervously, earning a nodded agreement from autumn. "yes, plus i'm always so busy with art and homework." she says, arguing with her mother. "oh nonsense, all you do is art. it'll be good for a change. you will help billy andrews and that is that."