thirty-five

she found cole in a tree fort, built by none other than anne shirley-cuthbert. autumn found him resting his head into his knees. "cole!" she calls out to him, rushing to his aide. "i'm so sorry. i never would've imagined he'd-" "he'd what? go back to his old ways?" cole interrupts angrily. autumn silenced herself, knowing better than to say anything else. instead, she found a seat across from cole. she copied his actions and watched him. "cole, i truly believe he meant no harm. you don't know him like i do." she frowns with small tears in her eyes. cole rolls his eyes and rolls his shoulders back. "it doesn't matter. i know that he cares for nothing but himself and his reputation. i know that he destroys everything everywhere he goes. that billy andrews is a horrid, immature boy." he shouts, wiping tears from his eyes before running his hands through his hair. autumn sensed another anger. "cole, what else is wrong?" she questioned, moving closer to the boy. she was now in her knees, holding his hands in his lap. cole kept his head low. he shook his head as he sobbed. "i cant go back there, autumn." he says, his voice hoarse. the girl knits together her eyebrows. "mr. philips, he..." cole starts, trailing off. "autumn, i'm different."

autumn knew what was coming. she had been curious about him since summer when he was finally getting noticed by the girls. "cole... it's okay." she said staring up at the boy with tear filled eyes. "i think mr. philips is too. he punishes me because he can't punish himself and that's what makes it worse. i know he hates himself, autumn. and- and prissy is just a tool helping him." cole crys, autumn now holding him. she rocks him back in forth, whispering small reassurances and humming a song. the boy cried into her chest as she twirled his hair around her pointer finger. "you'll be okay, cole. i'm always here, i'll always support you." she says, easing the boy's tense body.

///

THIS WAS SHORT IM SORRY! IM ON WINTER BREAK SO THIS WAS SORT OF RUSHED!

also merry (super late) christmas. whatcha get?

xxx,
sof