Chapter 3: Friday Night

Fairytail has become the most popular place in town to get a drink on a Friday night.

Mira owns it, though she no longer lives in Magnolia, but Gildarts still runs the place in her favor.

It's busy already when Lucy and Natsu arrive. He'd picked her up five minutes earlier from her mom's house.

It's warm out, and Lucy has on a pretty floral dress, and maybe she imagines it, but she thinks that Natsu eyes linger on her a little longer than usual. (Dress in the media)

They buy their drinks at the bar and find an empty table to sit at.

Moments later Gildarts is by their table, grinning down at them. If she's telling the truth, Lucy's kind of glad he's there.

She's on edge, her eyes constantly flicking to Natsus hands, remembering what they can do to her.

She needs the distraction.

"Why didn't you two tell me you were coming? I would have reserved the best seat in the house for you," Gildarts jokes.

"I'll take a free drink instead," Natsu suggests.

Gildarts laughs like Natsu just told the most hilarious joke he's ever heard.

Lucy is pretty sure Natsu was serious.

"When is Mira coming back for a visit?" Lucy asks.

"If she hasn't told you, she sure as hell hasn't told me," Gildarts rolls his eyes. "You kids have fun," he nods and leaves them to it.

They finish their drinks, and fill each other in on what they've been doing during the week.

"You want another?" Lucy asks, gesturing to Natsus empty glass.

She's too fidgety without a drink in her hand. Like she's nervous.

Which is absurd, of course.

"I'm good for now," Natsu tells her.

He glances at the band who have just started playing a rock cover of Lay All Your Love on Me by ABBA. He looks back to Lucy.

"You want to dance?"

Lucy quirks an eyebrow at him, amused. "Okay," she agrees.

He gets up and Lucy follows him to the dancefloor.

There are a few other people dancing, so it isn't too weird. Natsu grabs Lucy's hand and twirls her under his arm, her dress and hair fanning out as she spins.

Truth be told, it's kind of a weird song to dance to.

But Natsu seems into it, and his enthusiasm is infectious. He's not a great dancer, but he's so close to her that Lucy doesn't even notice.

All she can think about is how good he smells and how she wants him to put his hands on her.

Totally normal friend stuff.

Somebody grabs Natsu by the shoulder and yanks him away from her, snapping her out of her trance.

"What the hell are you doing here, Flamebrain?" Gray asks, grinning.

He gives Natsu a playful shove. "Thought you said you couldn't hang out because you had a date tonight? Now I find out you're just hanging out with Lucy?"

"Change of plans," Natsu shrugs. A look of realisation passes over Grays face.

"Or is Lucy your date?" Gray winks knowingly.

"No," Natsu scowls. "Get lost, ya dick."

Gray cackles as he walks away, joining his friends at their table.

"Did you have a date tonight?" Lucy asks.

Natsu shrugs. "No." Clearly a lie.

"Natsu," Lucy presses. He sighs.

"Okay," he admits. "Maybe I had a date."

"You cancelled your date for me!" Lucy gives him a scolding punch on the shoulder.

"It's no big deal!" He defends. "I wasn't really looking forward to it, and I'd rather hang out with you anyway."

Lucy still feels a little guilty that he cancelled his date to hang out with her. But the fact that he cancelled it for her, and not Gray, pleases her a little too much.

She's about to suggest another drink when her mom struts in, wearing heavy make up and heels that are way too high for someone her age. Gildarts walks over and Lucy quickly looks away before she can witness any PDA.

"I think it's time to go," she grimaces.

No way is she staying here while her mom and Gildarts flirt all night.

Gross.

"I'll drive you home," Natsu offers, as if there had been any question about it.