Chapter 12

Awake again. Another day.

Pit. Pat.

The ground was wet and smelled like grass, but there was none, just mud. The girl, Nikko, stood near me, looking out of the hut, over all the trees. Her eyes were sparkling, and focused on a group of birds that fell and then swooped back up, flapping their magnificent wings. She looked hungry; you could tell from the glare, her clenched fist, her trembling lips. Maybe she wants some food.

"Do you want some food?" I managed to croak. My voice was raspy from the coldness of the night. "I'm sure we have enough beans for three... I mean, I picked up loads."

"No, thank you." She replied; retaining her posture, and prideful tone, even though her starvation was clearly visible.

"Are you sure?" I staggered, holding onto the walls of the hut as I raked through the satchel that contained the cans of beans. "I'm starving, and it won't take much to light the fire and cook you some too."

"No, I'm fine, thank you. I think Mack wants some though." 

Mack was still asleep, he was snoring, but I guessed she was right. When I looked at Mack, before we left in the horse and carriage, many days ago, he was so strong and invulnerable. But now he's weak, and thin, and his skin is rough and his hands calloused. It's the same for me, my hips stick out a little, now, and... And if I want to survive, I gotta get some muscle, some strength.

I struck the sharp edge of a rock against another, sending the sparks flying, combusting the stack of wood and dry leaves. Bravely, and carefully, I constructed some sort of support contraption from stones and sticks that didn't break when I slammed them against the walls. I then put all my trust into this cooking device and rested my can of beans on the stone above the flames, crossing my fingers that it could take the added pressure. It did. 

And then I needed to puke.