Ch. 4

"How was your day?" Dad asked. I was laying on me bed staring at my ceiling my phone on speaker next to me. "It was fine, I made some new friends," I told him. "In the pack?" Dad asked. "Kinda, I mean they now me and stuff so..." I trailed off. "I actually remembered something though it was a time in the woods with Ember," I told him. "You were always in the woods and dragging Ember into trouble," dad said fondly. "Do you miss it here?" I asked suddenly. I knew he missed mom and our life but it always seemed to painful to talk about for him so I never asked. "I do, I miss my family and friends, the connection to the pack," he said. "Skye wanted to know if you thought you might ever come back?" I told him. "I will, I'm going to be around for a long time and it wouldn't be possible for me to stay away," he said. "I'm just not ready yet my wolf still mourns our mate and being there is hard. Here I have better control," he told me.

Not every wolf finds their true mate but my dad had and when she died it was like a part of his soul was ripped away. The connection between a mated pair was strong but the connection between true mates was unbreakable and deep. It was nearly impossible to find your true mate and some said not every wolf had one. In the end most didn't bother looking and settled down with someone they cared for instead of looking for someone who they would never meet. "How's Phoenix?" I asked him. He had just gotten to the new apartment and was talking to me as he unpacked. "Ok it was a long drive though," he said. "I imagine, how long was it 14 hours?" I guessed. "Close enough I think," he said. "So how's the apartments?" I asked. "Their-" he stopped talking and I heard the door to his apartment open. "Carver, stop unpacking let's go have some fun," Mitch said. "Yo Mitch how's it going?" I called into the phone. "It's fine, you being good?" He asked. I could hear the smile in his voice. "Yeah, I let you guys go, make sure he has some fun ok?" I told Mitch. "Yes, Ma'am," Mitch replied and the line went dead.

I stood up from my bed and glanced around my room. The stuff from my bag was just laying in a pile on my desk, my bag was tossed in a corner stuffed with homework I didn't feel like doing and the rest of my room was empty. I decided I didn't want to stay in here so I went across the hall and knocked on Skye's door. There was no answer, I twisted the handle and pushed the door open. The room was a mirror image of mine but posters and pictures filled the walls, the lights were off and the room empty.

When I had gotten back from school I was able to deranged myself from the group and leave so I could call my dad but I didn't know where the others went. I also hadn't put any of their numbers in my phone yet so I couldn't text them, and I suddenly wanted to be around them again. "Damn," I muttered and pulled the door close. I might as well start looking. I left the barracks and started over towards the rec room hoping that Skye or someone might be in there.

The rec room was packed with wolves all relaxing after school, I spotted Skye and Ryan on the couch watching some horrible reality show on the only tv. "Hey," I said as I plopped down next to Skye. "Did you miss me already?" Ryan asked. He leaned towards me batting his eyelashes playfully. "Get out of here," Skye said shoving his head out of her personal space. "Why are you watching this," I asked. One the tv their was a girl who was about to let herself be covered in spiders. "Cause it's mind-numbingly stupid," Skye said and shot a look at Ryan. "What I think it's fun," he said defensively. "Exactly," Skye said. They turned back to the show and watched in silence. I glanced around the room, everyone was busy playing a game or doing homework or just hanging out. In the far back corner I spotted the girl from the cafeteria yesterday, the one with the burning silver eyes. She was talking to a blonde who seemed tense, but the silver eyed girl seemed relaxed and was smiling. She was breath taking now instead of just beautiful since she wasn't scowling at me. I realized I was staring and turned back to the tv, the girl on the show was now covered in spiders and was freaking out. Ryan was laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world. I was soon lost in the show as well Skye was right it was mind numbing but almost in a good way.