Chapter 6

It was a little past noon and the kids had been complaining about being hungry for a few minutes now. Both single parents had agreed to take a lunch break, after all it had been a couple of hours since they had their snacks, so it was a good time to have a meal.

They settled in a small dining area on their way to the east side of the zoo. Claire still had very present the kids' class was at the Tisch Children's Zoo across from 65th street, and hopefully, they will make it there in time for the head count and to get on the bus.

"Do you want to stay saving the table while I go get us something to eat?" The redhead couldn't help flirt with Owen, her eyes were playful on his while her fingers gently slid around his wrist. "I would ask if you want to come with me~" She shrugged, biting on her lower lip, "but if we leave them alone...we will come back to find the place on fire."

Owen grinned softly, he could feel her fingers slipping down the inside of his hand while her lips smiled up at him. The way her finger pads brushed the rough texture of his palm was blowing electrifying sparks up his arm.

She had been finding ways to touch him here and there and he didn't miss an opportunity to do the same. They had been flirting nonstop for the past half an hour more or less and Owen was slowly taking on how she was letting her guard down around him.

"You go, we will find a moment to be alone later." He teased her. Why else would she wish he could tag along sans the kids to get some food? He was no fool, and so far... he had noticed that calling her out on her intentions kinda worked on his advantage.

Claire had her back on him, smiling to herself and blushing slightly. She set her bag on the table and only took her wallet with her. "I never said I was looking for some alone time with you~" She murmured, an inch away from him after she had turned around. She slowly let her eyes drop to his lips and back up to his eyes before quietly walking past him.

His eyes followed each of her steps, enjoying himself a little too much, "mom says that flies get in if you keep your mouth open for too long."

"What's the deal with her anyways?" Owen casually asked, sitting across from the kids. "Does she have any special friends?"

"A boyfriend you mean?" Mason slowly reached out for his mom's purse and started to pull it closer to him.

Owen knew enough about the kids by then to let them get anywhere near that purse, so he grabbed the handle and pulled it back away from the kid.

"We are seven, we know what a boyfriend and a girlfriend is." Lizzie rolled her eyes.

"Mom lets us play with her cellphone while we wait for food." The boy frowned watching Owen take the purse away.

Owen looked into the purse, then over to Mason, and then over to Lizzie; both kids nodded their head in reassurance that it was true. He watched them incredulously and shook his head; he was not falling for this one.

"So does she have a boyfriend?" He casually wondered, more interested in that subject than letting them trick him into giving them her cellphone. He was smarter than two seven year olds, or was he?

"Why should we help you out if you don't help us out?" Mason crossed his arms against his chest and tilted his chin up.

"You gotta give to receive." Lizzie mirrored her best friend, and crossed her arms as well.

Owen sighed and set the purse on his lap, he looked into it and rubbed the back of his neck. There was something about going into a woman's purse that just made him uncomfortable. He thought this through for a few seconds, the cellphone was deep in there. He tilted his head around trying to see if he could find it with his eyes but had no luck, "forget it, dude." He shook his head and closed the purse.