3: The Drama Queen

*

        TAYA's POV:

"I am the furthest thing away to a Kate Winslet or Claire Danes. I can't possibly do this," I stated firmly, tossing the script back to Hallee on the cafeteria table.

"I have faith in you, bestie, you can totally do this," she beamed. "Plus with your whole new blonde look, I could easily have mistaken you for a young Kate Winslet. And did I mention how much I love your hair by the way, you are slaying it girlfriend!"

"Get your nose out of my ass, Hal. I'm not doing it," I rolled my eyes at her. "I can't act,"

"But you're so perfect for the part of Rose,"

I sighed and eyed her suspiciously. "Not enough people signed up for the play, huh?"

She replied with a sheepish grin.

"I told you I'm joining the theater club as stagehand. There's no way I'm gonna be out there on the stage, acting—let alone be the female lead,"

My best-friend Hallee had been a theater geek all her life. This year I finally decided to join her and the theater club, since I needed to impress colleges with interesting stories about my life. The most exciting thing about me so far was the incident of last night and I doubted that colleges would be interested in that.

This year's production would be a play called'Jack & Rose', which was written by non other than Hallee herself. All summer long she locked herself in her room working on it. It was about two star-crossed lovers and how they loved each other but couldn't be together, because the girl was a vampire. She drew inspirations from Romeo and Juliet, Titanic, and of course—the Twilight series.

"Please, do this for me, I'll owe you best-friend brownie points for the rest of my life," she pleaded again.

"You got a strong puppy-eye game there," I replied. "But the answer's no,"

"Look, you're the one who said it yourself, you need an extracurricular activity to help you stand out with your college essay. This and your perfect grades and all that community service you've been doing will land you an acceptance at any college you want, for sure,"

The girl's got a point.

"And you were the one that said you needed a change. You want to try new things and take more risks. Well, voila!"

Using my own words against me, touché.

"Alright, fine," I drew a long sigh and Hallee's arms swung open to hug me.

"Yay! This is gonna be so great!"

"Stop—you're choking me," I squirmed, but she wasn't letting me go. Only when Hallee noticed a guy walking pass our table, did she let me go.

"Oh hey, Gabe, come sit over here!" she waved at the guy.

Gabe Serrano, or I used to call him "guitar kid", was one of our classmates. I nicknamed him that was because he always had a guitar with him everywhere he went. I heard that he wrote songs and posted them online. I thought that was pretty neat, but the cool kids always made fun of him for it.

Yeah, high school's dumb.

"Hey guys," he said, grabbing a seat next to Hallee.

"Gabe, guess what? Taya's agreed to play Rose,"

"Cool," he nodded approvingly.

"Did Hallee blackmail you to be in the play too?" I said to Gabe.