30: The Bitter Sweet

*

     TAYA's POV:

"You're the first girl that Blake ever took home to see our dad. He must really like you," Blake's sister, Stephanie, whispered to me as her brother and parents were busy chatting about the next election over the dinner table.

I didn't know what to say, so I just gave her a smile.

"He's talked so much about you. I'm glad my brother finally finds someone,"

Blake has talked a lot about me...?

Turning my face to the side, I caught a glimpse of him and how enthusiastic he was, talking about politics with his dad. He then noticed that I had been gawking at him. Giving me a slight smile, he took my hand from below the table and rested it on his lap.

That was sweet. Everyone here was so sweet. And the dinner table was amazing. I knew I should be having the time of my life. But honestly, I just didn't know how to feel...

Blake's family looked like one of those poster families that came straight out of a magazine. They were all blonde, gorgeous, successful and rich. And their house, or shall I say mansion, looked like one of those celebrity houses on MTV.

Looking at my reflection in the mirror, I couldn't help but to feel a little out of place. My natural brown hair was starting to grow and I hadn't got a chance to bleach them again.

I felt honored to be here, but at the same time I felt a little lost. I had this extravagant dinner prepared in front of me, but I had no appetite. I had the most amazing guy sitting next to me, but all I could think about was how cold Judah's tone of voice was when he said, "it was nothing,"

Here we go again, thinking about Judah again. Just stop it, you stupid girl!

Shaking off the thought of him, I tried my hardest to be engaged in the conversation Blake and his family were having. By this time, they had moved on from politics to education. Blake was telling his dad of his plans to visit Princeton sometime soon.

"Princeton is a great school. But I still think you should give Yale another thought," Mr. Harrison spoke in his firm and commanding tone.

"Yes, but—" Blake looked a little uneasy.

"But what?" Mr. Harrison didn't even take his eyes off his plate, and he sounded so intimidating.

"Nothing. You're right. I would give it another thought," Blake said in defeat.

The tension in the room went from zero to a hundred in a matter of seconds. Blake's sister and mother looked at each other worriedly and Mrs. Harrison coughed to ease the tension.

"So, Taya dear, which schools have you applied to?" she said, turning to me.

"Oh well... I'm not sure yet, actually," I said casually, and I felt the tension somewhat subsided.

"Not sure about college?" Mr. Harrison spoke suddenly. It was just a simple question but boy, did it got my hair standing.

"No, I want to go to college. But I just don't know for what... or where..."

Mr. Harrison looked up from his plate for the first time. He studied me intently and I could taste the disappointment in his voice when he said, "I see,"

The room fell silent again. Blake's mom and sister exchanged looks again and I felt Blake's grip on my hand tightened.

"Mom, dad, I want to show Taya around the house, can we be excused?" Blake said and stood up abruptly, pulling me up with him.