44: The Plastic Crown

*

    TAYA's POV:

Senior Prom – a night to remember.

The big banner in the middle of the room said it loud and proud.

Our school went all out this year, renting this huge ballroom at the Harrison Resort, and the ballroom had been transformed into what looked like a Met Gala.

The air was full of glamour and glitz. The room was donned in tall chandeliers, silky silver fabric hanging on the roof, a shining disco ball in the middle, and all these pretty people in their awesome dresses and suits were dancing through the night.

The prom marked a monumental time in the lives of teenagers all across America. Some people dubbed it our coming of age moment, and others claimed that it was the grandest night of our teenage lives.

So much pressure to put on a night.

I spent the first hour of the night dancing and laughing away with Hallee, Gabe, and Jesse. I suppose this was the reason that made prom so special—it was our last big event that we could have together with our friends.

After graduation, Hallee would be off to New York, and Gabe would go to Nashville. I would be going to UCLA and Judah...

My heart sunk again as the thought of Judah crossed my mind. A second ago, I was jumping up and down in my heels, dancing to the tunes of Khalid. And suddenly I wasn't in the mood to dance anymore.

As my friends were still busy dancing, I slipped quietly past them, trying to find a corner to sit at. But suddenly, the music stopped and Principal Finn started knocking at the mic on stage.

"Good evening senior class, how's everyone doing tonight?" he shouted in excitement, but the senior class just looked at him with a 'WTF' look on their faces.

"Now, now, I'm here to announce this year's prom king and queen..." he continued and the crowd cheered loudly for him.

The room suddenly was full of hype, but I was tuning out of Principal's Finn's words, as I didn't find the topic interesting. My eyes were still wandering for the coziest-looking corner that I could hide into.

"This year's prom king goes to... Mr. Blake Harrison," I heard his voice again and the crowd roared in cheers.

"And your prom queen is... Miss Taya Williams!"

"What?" I screeched out loud as my feet stopped moving. How was that even possible?

"Tay! You won! Congratulations!" Hallee had grabbed me out of nowhere and she started hugging me and shaking my body up and down.

"Hallee, did you do this?"

"No! Not at all. It's the people, Tay. They've voted,"

Before I knew it, I was being propelled up towards the stage. People were clapping and whistling at me, congratulating me and cheering me on. Meanwhile, I just had the most uncomfortable and confused look on my face as they put a crown over my head.

For the longest time, I didn't even think that people know I exist. But if I were to guess... dating the ever-popular Blake Harrison, becoming the lead role at our school play, and getting myself into scandalous affairs with bad-boy Judah Hudson had something to do with that.

They know I exist all right.

I waved my hand and smiled awkwardly as our school photographer snapped a few pictures of Blake and me. Blake was all smiles, brimming with confidence. After the photo session was over, the lights dimmed down as a softer music began to play.