29: The Glass Menagerie

*

O N E   M O N T H   L A T E R

*

     TAYA's POV:

"I can't believe today's finally here... the first day of our second semester as high school seniors!" Hallee sighed dramatically as she pulled open her locker door.

"Yeah, winter break went by so fast," Gabe said, leaning his back against the next row of lockers.

"Think about it, in just seven months, we'll all be leaving for college," Hallee said as her eyes darted to the collage of NYU stickers all over the insides of her locker wall.

"Have you heard anything from NYU yet?" I asked her.

Our play was a great success and she had sent in footages from our play as her portfolio in her application to NYU's Tisch School of the Arts.

"No, nothing yet. But I have a good feeling about it!" Her excitement for NYU was literally overflowing through her little body.

"What about you, Gabe? Which schools are you applying to?" I said to Gabe.

"I'm not sure. I've just been applying to random schools around Tennessee. I don't know about college, but the music scene there is just amazing," Gabe replied, and I could tell from his eyes that he was just as excited as Hallee about the future, if not more.

"What about you? How's that college essay coming along?" Hallee asked, and boy did it hit a nerve.

It had been over six months since the start of my senior year and I thought I'd be able to get it done by now. I thought Taya 2.0 had come a long way, but in all honesty, I was still as lost ever.

"I was working on it everyday during break, but I still can't get past 200 words,"

"Oh dude, you really need to get on that,"

"I know, I know. But I just can't seem to find... my voice,"

"Well, maybe if you weren't so distracted," Hallee winked and bobbed her head to the direction behind me. As soon as I turned my head around, my body was suddenly was enveloped by two strong arms and a warm body.

"Hey baby," Blake said as he linked his arms around my waist and pulled me close to him. "You look lovely,"

For a split second I was about to cringe, but I quickly recovered with a smile.

"Hey," I murmured against his chest. He smelled so nice. Hmm.

"Don't forget, we're having dinner with my family tonight. My dad just came back from his business trip in France," he beamed.

"Of course. I'm excited to meet your family," I beamed back. I had met his mother and little sister last Sunday, we all went out for brunch together.

You would never guess that Blake's mom, Melinda, was in her forties, as she looked thirty at most. She was super stylish, donning designer items from head to toe. I heard that she was a runway model back in the day. Blake's little sister, Stephanie, just turned thirteen and she was the sweetest girl ever. In short, they were the loveliest and prettiest family I'd ever seen.

Blake didn't talk much about his dad, but I could tell he had a great deal of respect for him. I was nervous to meet the guy, especially this soon in our relationship. But Blake was so excited for this, so I just couldn't say no.

"Ok, I gotta go now. I'll see you at lunch later?" Blake said again and I noticed Hallee and Gabe exchanging looks behind him.

"Sure," I said as he leaned down and closed in on my lips. His kiss was soft and sweet. And he tasted like mint.