Chapter Twenty Nine (finale)

The end

(Currently unedited)

     Arey led us down a hidden flight of stairs that ran down at least three floors. We finally reached a hallway at the bottom of the stairs. Arey went ahead to make sure the way was clear; once she had done so, she waved to let us know we could keep following her.

    Luci's panic attack seemed to have subsided, but I still held on firmly to her hand to make sure she knew I was there.

While we walked I overheard a conversation going on about Micah.

"Have you seen Aiva and her brother?" One person asked.

"I haven't, no... They probably died the first night."

    "Her brother's a traitor." Someone else interjected. "I saw him with those monsters. He was wearing the uniform and everything."

    "Are you sure it was him?"

    "Without a doubt."

    "Bloody.." he trailed off. "We're all gonna die aren't we?"

"Olivia?"

I looked down at Luciana, who was still shakily gripping my hand. I prayed that she hadn't heard the conversation I had just heard. Her beautiful, bright eyes stared up at me with a certain look of intelligent concern. I smiled reassuringly. "Yeah, Luci?"

"Where will we go?"

"I-" I sighed. I really didn't know. I had no idea if there even were any places on earth where F.E.A.R wasn't. New Eden didn't want us- and for good reason- and Earth was full of people who wanted us dead. Would any place be safe for us? I didn't know. "I'm not sure, Luci, but I promise we'll be safe soon."

"Will we go back to earth?"

I nodded. "I think we have to."

"But that's where the bad people are."

".. I know."

"Would they catch us again?"

    "... I won't let that happen again."

"How?"

"I-" I stopped, unsure of what to say. "I.. don't know."

"Olivia!"

I looked up from the floor to see Leiana emerging from the crowd. "Lei!"

    "Wow it's good to see you alive!"

    "Same to you!"

She wrapped her arms around my shoulder in a relieved embrace. I returned the hug with my free arm. Leiana and I weren't especially close, but still it was good to see a familiar face.

"Where did they have you?" She asked as she let go and we continued along with the group.

"I don't know.. I think I was drugged the whole time."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah. When I found Matt he told me it'd been a week, but I've only been awake for like a day and a half."

Leiana's expression grew somber. She looked down at Luciana and gently placed her hand on her back. "Hey, Luci, why don't you go see Cal?" She forced an excited smile. "He could give you a piggyback ride!"

Luci glanced at me nervously.

Sensing the urgency in Leiana's voice, I nodded to encourage Luci to go.